Tacho rules

ROG.

“O” licensing works by the weight of the towing vehicle.

Any vehicle over 3500kg requires an "O" licence, any trailer that is drawn by vehicles on the licence needs to be on the licence unless you hold a restricted UK licence, in which case there is no requirement to include trailers under 3500kg

Corr blimey its a mine field.

So that makes it clear that there will be no O plate needed as the tow vehicle will not be over 3500kg (the stuff online seemed to suggest that it was the train weight & not the tow vehicle weight).

They will go by actual weights

Does that not depend on if you have a pre 1999 licence or not?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So that makes it clear that there will be no O plate needed as the tow vehicle will not be over 3500kg (the stuff online seemed to suggest that it was the train weight & not the tow vehicle weight).

It’s “O” licence not plate, the plate is something else entirely but yes vehicles under 3500kg do not require an “O” licence regardless of what they are towing.

Does that not depend on if you have a pre 1999 licence or not?

No, your licence tells you the legal limits the person can do, there are also legal limits for what the trailer can do, VOSA have nothing to do with your driving licence.

yes vehicles under 3500kg do not require an “O” licence regardless of what they are towing.

Are you certain????

Do you need a goods vehicle operator's licence? | business.scotland.gov.uk

The term tractive unit refers to the towing vehicle - it does not refer to what most of us would regard as being an articulated tractor unit

Why can't they put things in plain english!!

They will go by actual weights

incorrect

If there is no plated weight for a trailer then the tyre load ratings will be used

If the chipper trailer weighs 500 actual weight, is not plated but has 4 tyres each rated at 150 then it will be classed as being 600 MAM

Are you certain????

Do you need a goods vehicle operator's licence? | business.scotland.gov.uk

The term tractive unit refers to the towing vehicle - it does not refer to what most of us would regard as being an articulated tractor unit

Why can't they put things in plain english!!

Yes thanks, do you know thats a Scottish reference? Well lets look at it anyway

So

Do you need a goods vehicle operator's licence?

You will need a goods vehicle operator's licence to carry goods or burden connected with any trade or business, if you plan to use a vehicle with either:

• a gross plated weight - the total permitted weight of a loaded vehicle - of more than 3,500 kilograms

• no gross plated weight, but an unladen weight of more than 1,525 kilograms

So No licence needed for anything transit sized or less

For a combination, ie a drawing vehicle and trailer, you need a licence if:

• the unladen weight of the tractive unit plus the gross plated weight of the semi-trailer is more than 3,500 kilograms

• in a case where the semi-trailer is not plated, the combined unladen weight is more than 1,525 kilograms

and that part says semi trailer which can only be drawn by a tractor unit or a dolly, either way it will be waaaay more than a vehicle of 350kg mam can pull

Arrrrg.

After all that when I told him he needed to check out about a tacho he says he is not going to bother cos the firm that sold him the trailer dint say it would need one & that when delivering it they dont use one.

Horse & water come to mind.

treequip

I bow to your greater understanding of this

My knowledge is very limited on O licence issues so I can only go on what I THINK it says and not what I KNOW it says

Tacho and weight issues are much more my thing

If I drive a mog without a trailer do i need a tacho?

If I drive a mog with a trailer do I need a tacho?

Info would be great

Thanks

Is the Mog registered as an agricultural vehicle?

Would the total MAM then be over 3.5 tonnes?

Would the total MAM be over 7.5 tonnes?

Does it go more than 50 KM from base?