Project Antifreeze Update

Albedo

Re: Previous Thread ‘Help The Aged’

Just put this in new thread to get attention but it’s about donating wood to old people for the cold winter ahead. Any updates will be in this thread.

The concept is, that even if the person has central heating, benefits, cold weather payments etc, they can have a real fire now and again, save a bit of money on heating and stretch the pension out a bit.

Spoke to my local Age Concern Today and I was pleasantly surprised how up for it they were. I stressed that the problem is identifying genuine needy people, and not just dishing out free firewood to any takers.

They said they can identify the needy ones thru home visits. They are not allowed to give out the phone numbers but can get the person to phone me and arrange delivery.

As I said before I don’t have any wood but will put in time, labour, delivery etc. So next call was to a tree surgeon I used to subby for who I know has a big pile of wood. Said person kindly donated 1 cubic metre (seasoned), which I will go to her yard, split with her splitter and make available to age concern. (the benefactor will be made aware of who donated the wood).

This will be 2 deliveries of ½ cube each. It won’t last all winter but it will help out a bit. I have other irons in the fire for other donors – watch this space.

Now as far as fellow arbtalk members are concerned, the attack is 2 pronged.

1) No need for any network or extra work for Steve etc. If you’re interested just call your local Age Concern and do the same thing independently.

2) Renewed call to tree surgeons in Cheshire (shooting distance of Northwich) to donate me some wood or liaise on you delivering direct (I’ll provide freezing old person). I may be calling you on the phone soon anyway.

Cheers Khriss you saved my thread from going off the end onto page 2.

Its taken a few days to get the feedback from age concern, but they now have a couple of takers, so its plodding along ok. They did point out that some people have to block off their fires in order to qualify for a heating grant of some sort, so it remains to be seen how useful this thing will be.

Am going to split and collect the wood thats been donated next week some time. By the way Andy, I never saw your comments as negative, just realistic feedback which is all useful.