kahikatea

DrewB

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thatll be waipoua forest then David. Really gutted we didn't get chance to catch up but I was away installing lights. Next time though aye:)

No probs mate, I didn't get to meet Ian either so now the wife thinks all you NZ arborist are just in my mind:001_rolleyes:

I don't mind anyway I always wanted an imaginary friend or two:lol:

Apparently that tree had the record for a number of years at around 65m until it lost it's top in a storm, gifting first place (for a native) to a 'Naki kaik at 56.4m.

Did you guys find evidence of that many meters missing from the top?

And I remember standing underneath it wondering how on earth a climber'd work his way past those massive kahakaha (aka widowmakers)... with difficulty aye!

Chur

yep the whole head was dead above the epiphyte bundle hence why we didnt climb above it, it had a real horrible wobble that was not good. we considered it but didnt want to cause anymore damage up there. it had derfinetly lost a couple of meters but it didnt look like it would of lost 10m. would be a very hard tree to measure from the ground due tothe creek...

No probs mate, I didn't get to meet Ian either so now the wife thinks all you NZ arborist are just in my mind:001_rolleyes:

I don't mind anyway I always wanted an imaginary friend or two:lol:

Another reason to come back.:thumbup1:

Yeah gutted Bro and I've still got that cold although the worst has gone. Looking forward to the pics though and agree with Adam; good excuse to come back out. Hopefully next time we'll be in a posi to put you up for a couple of nights.

Drew, you know there's some monster Kaiks on the highway between Taumarunui and Turangi right?

Nah Bro, head over SH41 out of Turangi and there's several as you head up towards the saddle (each side of the road) with fantastic epiphytes on them. Lot of stag horns though so don't know how safe they are. I doubt they're quite the 50m but they'd be a decent size all the same. Heading over when I get back from the US, I'll take some photos. Nice vid by the way, watched it a couple of times now.