Challenging planting site.. Advice please.

benedmonds

A local powerstation wants me to plant on the top of an ash heap.

The ash is apparently pretty inert, very fine particles not very porus and possibly high in amonia. Covered with topsoil only 8 inches deep.

Any recomendations? They want instant effect, but I think the only way we are likely to get anything to establish without adding lots of top soil is to put some small whips or plugs in. They want natives. My thoughts. A mix of alder, birch, feild maple and ash.

I would have a chemical analysis done to establish what you are dealing with. Drainage, Ph. Trees - Instant effect???

Species wise, what is their long term aim. Bio fuel, amenity woodland, justification of their advertised green credentials?

A local powerstation wants me to plant on the top of an ash heap.

The ash is apparently pretty inert, very fine particles not very porus and possibly high in amonia. Covered with topsoil only 8 inches deep.

Any recomendations? They want instant effect, but I think the only way we are likely to get anything to establish without adding lots of top soil is to put some small whips or plugs in. They want natives. My thoughts. A mix of alder, birch, feild maple and ash.

what quality is the top soil ,?? itll need to be good stuff if only 8," ,did 1, simlar 25yr+ we the old boy ,on a tip ,siad it was t/s ,just crap sub soil & a scatering of dry t/s 80% of the tres dyed , not are fault ,

I would have a chemical analysis done to establish what you are dealing with. Drainage, Ph. Trees - Instant effect???

Species wise, what is their long term aim. Bio fuel, amenity woodland, justification of their advertised green credentials?

I've asked for a chemical analysis, as they've chemists on site. It's built up ground but the ash is very dense, like icing sugar so drainage wise the water is going to run down through the topsoil and run down the slope. I don't think it will penetrate into the ash much, any root growth is going to be restricted to the 8 inches of top siol.

They are doing it as the EA has told them to and they want to look like they have done something. They have no long term aim, the plant is to be closed in 2035. Their plan was to get root balled trees, dig a hole into the ash and fill it with top soil. This would just create undergound pots that at best would restrict the trees growth once they had out grown them but more likely just fill with water and kill the trees!

what quality is the top soil ,?? itll need to be good stuff if only 8," ,did 1, simlar 25yr+ we the old boy ,on a tip ,siad it was t/s ,just crap sub soil & a scatering of dry t/s 80% of the tres dyed , not are fault ,

There ain't much topsoil and it's pretty likely its not great. Can you remember what you planted? I think if we put small hardy stuff in they should be able to survive. One of my lectures at uni did lots of research using willows to reclaim mine spoil. This stuff isn't full of heavy metals so it's not all bad.

There ain't much topsoil and it's pretty likely its not great. Can you remember what you planted? I think if we put small hardy stuff in they should be able to survive. One of my lectures at uni did lots of research using willows to reclaim mine spoil. This stuff isn't full of heavy metals so it's not all bad.

2,ft scotts pines . they were poor as well , but they supplied them ,we just planted ,in between the bricks & old piant tins :thumbdown:

Has the client picked species yet? Quite a few species are used as phytoremediants (using their natural characteristics to improve soils). I used to plant red alder on mine tip sites in Canada which enhanced soil fertility and apparently soaked up heavy metals.

First principles on a site like this is to use pioneers species initially and see what happens, but the key thing to establishing any trees is either to provide water and/or work to the available water status of the site.

A local powerstation wants me to plant on the top of an ash heap. The ash is apparently pretty inert, very fine particles not very porus and possibly high in ammonia. Covered with topsoil only 8 inches deep.

Ben,

Checked the pH ? If the soil is very acid, it could be a site where pioneers like birch, willow and maybe scotch pine can naturally associate with an ectomycorrhizal symbiont such as Pisolithus arhizus.

And alder is a good choice too, because apart from the tree species specific Frankia alni bacteria, it has its own ectomycorrhizal symbionts of the genus Alnicola, some of which alder also shares with willows.