Ropewrench PPE?

scotspine1

... Any suggestions for ways to configure test on wrench would be helpful...

Attach load cell to top bolt/pin, pull from bottom bolt and do a straight pull.

Just because this would not be achievable in normal use, it is still the only possible loadable configuration.

Dave

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I take people, non-professionals, tree climbing, I use the three knot system. Their anchor point is low and strong and they tie additional slip knots, every metre as they climb. It is a great and safe system for beginners *and if you came into arb climbing with vt's and footlocking You may be surprised at just how different it is.

I would never recommend it for professionals though. For production work it just sucks big time. In the seven years that I have been climbing there have been so many changes...most of them advancements in my mind, the rope wrench being one of those.

I don't see why the wrench has to be offered as a configured bona fide system. Who the hell wants to be obliged to climb on one type of hitch cord, with one type of tether with one style of ascent etc etc. You see, there are so many options with the wrench.

How many pages are there on the wrench now? It proves that users are being responsible about it. There are some highlightable safety concerns but they have been highlighted throughout the discussions. God damn it though there are safety concerns, maybe more safety concerns with other climbing systems. A loosely tied hitch within the ce ddrt system still has the ability to not grab. Having a ce configured test does not make it 'safe'.

I applaud you rope wrench users! Long live the wrench!!

Edited by softbankhawks

Dmc, that test breaks at a ridiculous 7000 lbs

I think that test would be irrelevant anyway. It's not like anyone is going to making a high fall factor drop with the RW as primary attachment point.

Actually, I think the only thing that would need to be checked is that the RW doesn't interfere with locking of the hitch if someone does fall.

Edited by Pedroski

Good posts SBH, and good (utterly superfluous!) test results Kevin!

Tall Ash to climb this afternoon for a pal for some light remedial work. Very baggable, very wrenchable.

I'm looking forward to it, and I wouldn't have said that two weeks ago.

I think that test would be irrelevant anyway. It's not like anyone is going to making a high fall factor drop with the RW as primary attachment point.

Actually, I think the only thing that would need to be checked is that the RW doesn't interfere with locking of the hitch if someone does fall.

A tether that is the wrong length can entangle in the wrench and result in a failed hitch. Something that a litte adjustment can fix

Good posts SBH, and good (utterly superfluous!) test results Kevin!

Tall Ash to climb this afternoon for a pal for some light remedial work. Very baggable, very wrenchable.

I'm looking forward to it, and I wouldn't have said that two weeks ago.

Mark, what's baggable? Do you mean easy with a throw bag or am I missing a dark trick?