Ropewrench PPE?

scotspine1

You do not hang of a rope wrench, it's your hitch you hang off, only in srt mode whic the rw allows you to do.

Tools like th rw may help make us all old climbers or at least some of us.

If you're hanging off the hitch then the hitch is your PPE not your rope wrench

Gary, I'm not saying whether I think a rope wrench is safe or not.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're hanging off the hitch then the hitch is your PPE not your rope wrench

Gary, I'm not saying whether I think a rope wrench is safe or not.

no, actually you are right AL, your message tone implied that, big difference, my apologies :)

so a rated hitch is a rated hitch, SRT or DdRT, right?

the wrench really is not a factor PPE wise then right? ;)

Anyone who hasn't used a wrench should try one, maybe at a couple of feet over a bouncy castle, until they understand the principle involved.

Surely that would make more sense than simply slagging it off because it hasn't had a gazillion pounds invested in getting a CE stamp which it clearly doesn't need.

I don't think anyone is slagging it off. Merely discussing whether it would be classed as PPE or not, and if not, then what of the system it forms part of.

I dont see how it is any different to using a footlock strop with a klemheist or similar.

Going up you use the hitch on its own, coming down you put a descender in. No-one says you cant use the system because you cant descend on the hitch, no-one uses a fig 8 without the hitch as backup.

If you are worried about the wrench failing in use and not being able to descend, then carry a figure eight as a backup, or set a trunk belay system, or both.

If it is NOT ppe then you all need to investigate the relevance of using a hitch srt.

If it is, then it needs testing in conjunction with a hitch

Based on what little I understand of the regulations, this is my take also.

Hitches have been used SRT for ages.

been using hitches on SRT for 15 years, choking the flipline on a side leaning stem when blocking down, switch the hitch to my centre D, have the bight of the flipline at the topside of the lean (it only works one way, like parbuckling a big log). Would need to show in a pic, but its a fairly common thing to do, most people will have seen it, it works very well for finding a safe work position to make your cut (usually the directional notch as your having to lean round the leaning stem to make this cut, working from the centre D with a choked flipline allows for this). You have to make sure the hitch is rock solid though, I mean tied tighter than usual.