Random Arb & Tree Facts

David Humphries

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holly does not float

nor do many other woods

yew trees [,tacsus bacata fastigiata [ not sure if its spelt right we planted in church yards to keep out horses that were used as transport by the church people

that isnt true

The monkey puzzle evolved into what it is to deter dinosaurs from browsing it.

that is highly likely but hard to verify.

The scent of Hawthorn blossom is the same the first scent a decaying human corpse gives off.

Apparently, not sniffed many corpses!

That is why it is unlucky to have Hawthorn blossom in the house.

This one is true, and definatley verfiable, its as Graham says also one of my fave smells, conjours up memories of close season rambles down the river to find a good spot for the 15june midnight kick off to the angling season.:thumbup:

nor do many other woods

that isnt true

that is highly likely but hard to verify.

This one is true, and definatley verfiable, its as Graham says also one of my fave smells, conjours up memories of close season rambles down the river to find a good spot for the 15june midnight kick off to the angling season.:thumbup:

Going off topic so apologise. Ooh...that first day of the season on the river. Anticipation, first chink of light on the horizon, wisps of mist, water mint, ranunculus, the crash of a barbel leaping......gone all Chris Yates now:001_smile:

Cannot verify but they do say the ropes used to transport the stones to Stonehenge were made fom the bark of young Lime trees, they stripped the bark in lengths similar to the way squirrels do and soaked them in the bottom of a watercourse for two weeks then made them into ropes.

Forest cover in England amounts to a total of 9% Land cover.

Comparison of Worldwide Forest Cover Save Our Forests

When I was at Reasheath College during the late 80's and early 90's, we were told Wales had 10% and England 14%. Cant remember where they got it from but some one had done a survey. If the above are true then England has lost some tree cover some where along the line which with all the various planting schemes that have been around the last 10/15 years, I would say tree cover has increased especially in rural areas.

Cannot verify but they do say the ropes used to transport the stones to Stonehenge were made fom the bark of young Lime trees, they stripped the bark in lengths similar to the way squirrels do and soaked them in the bottom of a watercourse for two weeks then made them into ropes.

no need to worry about verifying.

Tillia cordata with Cordata being for (cordage) its main use was in making rope and cord, so absolutely 100% worthy:thumbup1:

When I was at Reasheath College during the late 80's and early 90's, we were told Wales had 10% and England 14%. Cant remember where they got it from but some one had done a survey. If the above are true then England has lost some tree cover some where along the line which with all the various planting schemes that have been around the last 10/15 years, I would say tree cover has increased especially in rural areas.

will dig out the verification, but during the war tree cover in the british isles went down to 8% and has now risen to 12 according to figures I read a couple of year ago.

Will dig around and get the facts

no need to worry about verifying.

Tillia cordata with Cordata being for (cordage) its main use was in making rope and cord, so absolutely 100% worthy:thumbup1:

Sorry tony, going to have to be a pedant with the latin again and correct you:001_rolleyes::lol:

Cordata, or cordate means "heart-shaped":biggrin:

Sent from Rob's GalaxySII