how would i go about gettting council work?

treechopper90

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack, are you keeping busy with the private work..

With councils there are lots of hoops to jump though and you have to be able to afford to wait before you get paid! It's normally more then three months from start of works to getting any cash, our last job started 14th of November and we were paid last week february! Unfortunately any staff and subbies are not willing to wait that long so it is a pain with cash flow.

I guess it depends on how the LA delivers its arboricultural services. Our County Council has a very proactive manager with a very good team that he has fought tooth and nail to keep in place. We work within a framework that allows the Council to manage their choice of contractors much more efficiently than the E-tendering system some others use, where the really big, (and some would say rubbish), players usually win out.

If you have a good LA manager you have to prove to him or her that you can deliver the service at a reasonable price, (not cheap).

It takes a good deal of badgering, unless you strike it lucky right time right place, and presenting your offering so that you're front of mind when the contract comes up. Be happy to take a few small jobs to show what you can do.(And I don't mean loss leaders).

Also, they have to know how you'll behave when the inevitable screw up occurs.

On top of that LA's are supposed to pay in 10 days. Ours are generally pretty good. Even a few years ago when they had a 30 day payment system I could guarantee the cheque coming through the door.

There's loads more stuff you can do to improve your chances either working directly or indirectly for your LA or the one next door, some of which has already been posted before me. Including staying positive.

Jack, are you keeping busy with the private work..

With councils there are lots of hoops to jump though and you have to be able to afford to wait before you get paid! It's normally more then three months from start of works to getting any cash, our last job started 14th of November and we were paid last week february! Unfortunately any staff and subbies are not willing to wait that long so it is a pain with cash flow.

I always get paid within two weeks from council and highways. They are among the best payers I have found.

A couple of phone calls to get it all sorted. Then they bank transfer it or less often post a cheque.

Just a quick question. I'm about to enter a tendering process for a three year contract. Will I get a full description of the works needed or do I have to submit an average price for general activities?

You will get a list of trees and what needs doing you just go look and give your price