drying wood

markus

we're in process of fitting a large outdoor wood boiler to heat the houses on our farm... we're supposed to get a very good incentive from gov for doing this and the more heat we produce the more money we earn... obviously in summer it will only be running on tick over so i thought i'd put a feed into a nearby shed... partition the shed off and install a drying fan [my mate has exactly same thing to dry bricks at his brick yard] which is only £400, and fill crates with logs [shed should hold at least 30].. means i can dry my logs for free as all wood we will use will be softwood otherwise destined for fire in yard and get paid by the gov for privillege...

Are you sure they will pay you more money the more wood you burn I know the goverment are retarded by surely thats just too stupid even from them. I can't find any definite info on this.

You could leave the front door open & all the windows & have the boiler going all the time to make loads of money! Have the house at 25C and walk around semi naked lol.

I suppose they are reckoning on most people paying alot for there wood so this wouldn't usually be a problem as the cost of the extra wood would be more that the payments.

Edited by face cord

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the fan is just recirculating the air within the container? The dehumidifier then cooling the recirculated air to below its dew point and you are collecting the water? How much water are you collecting? The industrial drier we built removed 8 tonne of water from 18 tonne of fresh (60%mc wwb) 50mm boards/day

What size and weight, what species? I reckon on as much as 300kg of fresh oak in a 0.7m3 builder's bag so in round figures that would be about 5.5 tonnes of wood with fresh oak or beech, will contain a bit under 2.5 tonnes of water and you need to dry it to 4.25 to average 30% mc wwb, i.e. your dehumidifier needs to dump just under 1250 litres of water.

thx catweazel

it is mainly part seasoned ash, and on average was 38% mc when starting, i could probably do the maths on that to get it down to 23% i wish i was weighing the water deposit from the start but it is a fair amount ,will weigh a daily deluge at start of next cycle, but for sure the higher the starting mc% the more water needs to drain.

Are you sure they will pay you more money the more wood you burn I know the goverment are retarded by surely thats just too stupid even from them. I can't find any definite info on this.

You could leave the front door open & all the windows & have the boiler going all the time to make loads of money! Have the house at 25C and walk around semi naked lol.

I suppose they are reckoning on most people paying alot for there wood so this wouldn't usually be a problem as the cost of the extra wood would be more that the payments.

you get paid by the kw.. each house has a metre fitted.. there was a seminar in november where all the boiler suppliers etc attended... the incentives were given out as a rough guide... a 65kw boiler running to its full potential 6 days a week 24 hrs a day, all yr round will return you between 15 and 18k a year... obviously 90% of the boilers fitted will only run for less than half that time so the average payment is 5 to 7k a yr.. this is for a 20 year period guaranteed and the payment goes up and down with inflation.... to be honest we'd already ordered our one before any of this information was available and just based on heating costs for our 4 houses over 4 yrs meant it'd pay for itself in that time.. the incentiv, what ever it may be will be a bonus... the guy who is selling them over here runs one 6 days a week 24 hrs a day for his drying shed at his brickworks and he's just about to recieve his first payment for his first quarter of use so we'll see how much he gets??

he also has one fitted to his big old farm house where he has every radiator on in house [whereas when it was on oil only half were on and half house not lived in] and he reckons he has less than halved his heating bill per month.. and thats with buying hardwood cord in at £50 a ton...

you get paid by the kw.. each house has a metre fitted.. there was a seminar in november where all the boiler suppliers etc attended... the incentives were given out as a rough guide... a 65kw boiler running to its full potential 6 days a week 24 hrs a day, all yr round will return you between 15 and 18k a year... obviously 90% of the boilers fitted will only run for less than half that time so the average payment is 5 to 7k a yr.. this is for a 20 year period guaranteed and the payment goes up and down with inflation.... to be honest we'd already ordered our one before any of this information was available and just based on heating costs for our 4 houses over 4 yrs meant it'd pay for itself in that time.. the incentiv, what ever it may be will be a bonus... the guy who is selling them over here runs one 6 days a week 24 hrs a day for his drying shed at his brickworks and he's just about to recieve his first payment for his first quarter of use so we'll see how much he gets??

he also has one fitted to his big old farm house where he has every radiator on in house [whereas when it was on oil only half were on and half house not lived in] and he reckons he has less than halved his heating bill per month.. and thats with buying hardwood cord in at £50 a ton...

Sorry but I think I'm having a moment here....................... you get paid for burning wood:confused1::confused1::confused1:

Sorry but I think I'm having a moment here....................... you get paid for burning wood:confused1::confused1::confused1:

you certainly do... same as you get paid for havin solar panels on your roof... BUT you are only entitled to the incentive if you are heating more than one residence.. they call it communual heat... so for one house i think you get small one off payment of around £1000 a year same as solar panels... doesnt have to be 2 houses your heating.. can be a workshop... mess room or office... so for every log you put on the burner you earn profit.. and as someone mentioned earlier there right in saying you need heating on full wack with all doors and windows open... every kw of heat produced you get paid for....

You're not being paid by the gov, you're being paid by the rest of us through our electricity bills. I find it ridiculous that I'm paying for you to pointlessly put more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere when the idea (supposedly) behind the subsidy is to reduce the amount.

Are you talking about the Renewable Heat Incentive Feed in Tariffs?

These will be paid from the exchequer.

It's the solar PV and wind generated electricity that are paid from a pool collected by Distribution Network Operators via the Climate Change levy on all fossil generated electricity.

No point ranting about it because the over generous incentive was necessary to attract installation of solar pv (in particular) in order to avoid an EU fine for failing to meet our renewable obligation, the fine would have exceeded the cost. As it is it attracted carpet baggers and the government over reacted and cut it off too sharply.

I'm sorry if that was a bit direct, but we are becoming more and more fed up with these crazy subsidies and the idea that somehow the government is paying rather than us.

We pay for the government so it's a bit semantic.

you certainly do... same as you get paid for havin solar panels on your roof... BUT you are only entitled to the incentive if you are heating more than one residence.. they call it communual heat... so for one house i think you get small one off payment of around £1000 a year same as solar panels... doesnt have to be 2 houses your heating.. can be a workshop... mess room or office... so for every log you put on the burner you earn profit.. and as someone mentioned earlier there right in saying you need heating on full wack with all doors and windows open... every kw of heat produced you get paid for....

Well well well. Not what I wished to put but a clean version!

Obviously wasnt ME havin a moment. Its whoever dreamt it up:crazy:

I haven't followed RHI recently but as originally proposed the installation will need to be independently assessed and this will include appropriateness. Then the feed in tariff will be paid for so many hours at one rate and the rest at a lower rate, for a maximum of ~1300 hours.

If you consider the cost of the equipment, which unlike solar PV is unlikely to fall substantially, and the fact it will have to be new, from a recognised manufacturer and fitted by a certified person there is no great incentive. It has however made secondhand chip stoking boilers rather cheap.