Subsidence report info...

sloth

Hi all, a client has been told by his buildings insurer he will not be covered for subsidence claims until he has a report regarding a 'coniferous hedge less than 20 feet from his property'. There is no subsidence present anywhere on the property at present.

My question is this - what level of detail should be given? It is a clay soil, but is also on the edge of an oak woodland, so no shortage of other big, thirsty trees nearby!

I don't want to get bogged down with unnecessary data and therefore price too high/lose the job, but do want it to be sufficient to satisfy the insurers.

I think I will probably ask to get a clear spec of what the insurer wants directly, but wondered if anyone happens to know whether all insurers want particular details and not others.

Thanks in advance for any comments which will be gratefully received.

Sadly, the insurance company are probably simply looking to transfer their liability here in the unlikley event of a future damage claim.

Hence the level of detail is unlikely to be too great I would suggest and maybe even just a 'compliment slip' with scribbled note....provided it's got your name and address details on it!

Stating the obvious I know, but be sure you've got appropriate insurance here as unlike a tree safety report, perhaps, a subsidence report/letter/compliment slip won;t be covered by your Public Liability insurance and hence Prof. Indemnity, inc. cover for subs reports, will be required.

Cheers..

Paul

Just to clarify - surely you are not being asked to write a subsidence report as there is no evidence of damage to the structure?

This seems to be an arboricultural report for mortgage purposes which I understand to be quite different. You still need a decent amount of knowledge about subs though as the lender will be looking for you to make a 'statement of risk' arising from the trees.

Unless you have got Professional Indemnity Insurance and you are covered for Subsidence reports, and suitably qualified to write one, do NOT get involved.

Just my opinion.

I tend to agree with this as you will be setting yourself up for a fall if a claim is lodged at a later date. You could be sued for damages.

If you do have the necessaries, then by all means go ahead making sure to include all the usual caveats!

Sloth, in my experience (as a surveyor of buildings and structures not trees per se.) the insurer will be easily satisfied. What they would like is a 'yes' or 'no' answer to the question 'is the hedge likely to cause damage to the insured building/property'. If the hedge is the property/responsibility (part or wholly) of the insured, then advice on whether the hedge is likely to cause damage to other property may also be appropriate.

Of course; that's what they would like: what they get might be a little more subtle!

good luck

Just to clarify - surely you are not being asked to write a subsidence report as there is no evidence of damage to the structure?

This seems to be an arboricultural report for mortgage purposes which I understand to be quite different. You still need a decent amount of knowledge about subs though as the lender will be looking for you to make a 'statement of risk' arising from the trees.

I am not entirely sure whether its a subsidence report, as there is no damage, or an arb report for mortgage puzurposes? I have only spoken on the phone so far, and he said his buildings insurance won't cover subsidence until he has had a report on said hedge. He doesn't seem to know more, hence my wanting to speak to the insurers to see what they actually want.

I have all necessary pi etc so no worry there. If they want something I feel is beyond my capability I will not do it, ie. if they want soil plasticity index tests, monitoring of shrink heave movement etc I shall look to get help or pass it on (to someone on here? Essex area). I am not too proud to ask for help when out of my depth! All comments/links thus far appreciated :thumbup: