start up costs

treejoe

Joe bought a new or nearly new hilux a few months back we'll say 20k . He is going to spend roughly 2.5k on tickets. We havent even looked at the extensive tools and equipment yet to even start competing with established tree firms. Get real chaps . :001_smile:

No disrespect intended :001_smile:

That would be crazy . How many of us started off with a 20k vehicle without first testing the water's . If Joe really want's to do this kind of work I,m sure he'll find a way . I think he's doing the right thing by asking on here first . Get some basic training couple of saws's and off you go and earn some dollars . Don't let all these crazy figures frighten you off your dream :thumbup:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No disrespect intended :001_smile:

That would be crazy . How many of us started off with a 20k vehicle without first testing the water's . If Joe really want's to do this kind of work I,m sure he'll find a way . I think he's doing the right thing by asking on here first . Get some basic training couple of saws's and off you go and earn some dollars . Don't let all these crazy figures frighten you off your dream :thumbup:

I'm not telling you he might buy a new hilux i'm telling you he DID buy a new hilux, he posted the pics on here !! I agree go for it :001_smile:

Start up costs are whatever you want them to be. Some of the figures folk have alluded to here are dream world. Unless mummy and daddy sub you or you have had a very well paid job that enabled you to save £20-30k you'll be lucky to scrape £10k.

IMO there is no need to go and spend loads of money. When you're starting out you're unlikely to get big jobs that require loads of machinary and if you do you should have priced the hire into the equation. (Most of my big saws in the early days I bought on the back of big trees. If I got the job I got the saw.)

When starting in business a person is usually time rich and cash poor. If they buy an old van that goes slow, won't hold too much and breaks down occasionally they have the time to fix it themselves and this may stimulate them to look forward to the day they can acquire a newer one with a de-mist that works and a wing mirror that was actually designed for that vehicle.

Start up costs have to include a bit of working capital to tide you over for the delay in receiving your payments for work.

I can recall getting my first ever cheque through the post for £350 from a client, I was so excited. Now when we get a BACS payment for £25,000 I think, "right, that's the wages covered, when is the one for HMRC coming in?".

Don't get hung up on getting fancy, shiny kit. Get kit that works and use it to earn you money.

Another important start-up cost consideration is where you get rid of your arisings, especially if you don't have a chipper.

It's an unfortunate fact that the arb game has pretty much reached saturation point.

If you've got plenty of work driving a harvester, I might be tempted to stick with it.

You'll earn more.

You've got a heater in your cab.

You don't wear your body out so quickly.

Whereabouts are you mate?

I've got plenty of work harvesting but i hate being sat on me arse in a cab for 13hour days, it just isn't me. I am based in North Yorkshire but I drive the harvester way up in Scotland at Campbelltown which therefore means I am away 3 weeks at a time living in A caravan on site, sometimes even longer, away from family

The question is not how much does the gear cost, we all know that.

The question is, is there enough work to support yet another fresh face? Depends on your location but generally, no.

The gypos and cowboys are prospering and will continue to do so for several years, is my guess. That just makes it harder for the rest of us, so long as the potential clients continue to be stupid and naive.

Sorry for the unproductive rant.

I've got plenty of work harvesting but i hate being sat on me arse in a cab for 13hour days, it just isn't me. I am based in North Yorkshire but I drive the harvester way up in Scotland at Campbelltown which therefore means I am away 3 weeks at a time living in A caravan on site, sometimes even longer, away from family

Where abouts in north yorkshire :D