Pets at work

daveclark890

doesnt seem very on to have the dog loose whilst being assesed, theres enough things you need to concentrate on without a dog running around!

saying that i let my lab loose on the estate i work on,like others have mentioned when the saw starts up she goes off.

just need to be careful if where you work has a shoot as a dog loose when the birds have been released or during shooting season will bring down the wrath of the game keeper!:thumbup1:

I passed my 30/31 with flying colours even with the dog and I am a confident enough person that if the dog had been in the way I would have said.

And yeah I grew up not far from a wood in Lincolnshire that had both birds and dear that were hunted and I used to beat at weekends for pocket money (reckon I probably would have got more from poaching but hey) so am aware of the wrathful game keepers.

I just love my dog and want to 1) have him with me more (my camp is a dog free zone and I work in a concrete bunker) and 2) he needs a lot of exercise (he was supposed to be springer size with cocker mentality, He turned out cocker sized and springer mentality!)

I passed my 30/31 with flying colours even with the dog and I am a confident enough person that if the dog had been in the way I would have said.

And yeah I grew up not far from a wood in Lincolnshire that had both birds and dear that were hunted and I used to beat at weekends for pocket money (reckon I probably would have got more from poaching but hey) so am aware of the wrathful game keepers.

I just love my dog and want to 1) have him with me more (my camp is a dog free zone and I work in a concrete bunker) and 2) he needs a lot of exercise (he was supposed to be springer size with cocker mentality, He turned out cocker sized and springer mentality!)

fair one mate, nice one. didnt mean to point out the obvious so much:biggrin:

its definatley good to have your mutt with you if your happy that it will be safe, its a great life for the dog. i have had my choc lab with me at work since she was a pup and shes 2 and a half now, i work by myself so its great for me to have her with me all day and if i have to leave her at home for any reason it just feels like i have forgotten something!

plus she occasionally brings me back a rabbit or pheasant so she pays her way!:thumbup:

• 9 months later...

Fine example of why I disagree withs dogs on site. Mates dog was let out of the truck at lunch, I wandered off to grab my grub bag, and the two chaps in the truck then dozed off. I heard a bit of a flap across the way, chickens clucking and so on, I wondered if there was a fox about. I get back up to the truck as the normally impeccably behaved Lab returns with a dead bantam in its mouth, one of the clients bantams. Not my job, not my name on the truck, not my dog. But this signifies more than anything that unless you are in a position to have 100% control, 100% of the time, animals should not be on site. It's not necessary, it's not professional, and in an instance like this, it could cost you that client. Not good.

Fine example of why I disagree withs dogs on site. Mates dog was let out of the truck at lunch, I wandered off to grab my grub bag, and the two chaps in the truck then dozed off. I heard a bit of a flap across the way, chickens clucking and so on, I wondered if there was a fox about. I get back up to the truck as the normally impeccably behaved Lab returns with a dead bantam in its mouth, one of the clients bantams. Not my job, not my name on the truck, not my dog. But this signifies more than anything that unless you are in a position to have 100% control, 100% of the time, animals should not be on site. It's not necessary, it's not professional, and in an instance like this, it could cost you that client. Not good.

I've seen a dog eat a clients 'pet' phesent on a site and the client gave us alt of work. Also different dog ate a pet rabbit in front of clients children! Again another dog was killed on site as a root plate came back up on a Windblow and burried the dog!

My dog is either with me or the missus when we're at work. Harvesting sites, community parks or the office. If there's something she doesn't like she goes back to the van and waits. If I'm felling she sits near by till the tree is down then she's off again. I'm lucky but I don't do any domestic work. I'd say that's a very different situation!