Annoying clients

Tully

We had a nice job booked in for today. Spruce dismantle and 3 hawthorns to fell and remove.

So after sorting the gear at the yard,de icing truck etc we get to the site and the client has 3 builders vans in, 2 skips and a load of ton bags. Making the job a real ball ache as well as there been 3-4 builders walking past constantly.

We decided it would have been twice as long doing the work and very little space as well as the risks of accidents increasing so we called it off. So we walked away and said we will have to rebook the job but he would have to wait until the end of April.

A day wasted (apart from some maintenance and office work).

What would you do?

The job had been booked in for a while and he waited until we arrived so we could see it for ourselves. His words were ' i thought you might have trouble, but i waited for you to see it yourselves to decide'.....NICE ONE. Could have called to let us know prior.

I am annoyed a fair bit but have decided not to charge him for our wasted time plus fuel.

How would you deal with such a situation? and would you charge? and really how much for 1.5 hours driving and wasted time?

...I hope tomorrow is better.

Can't charge him, not unless you want to lose a client for good.

Chalk it up to experience and next time make sure you stipulate site conditions when you book a future job in, ie how big a clear area you will need to work in.

Exactly.

Our quote sheets do stipulate that the quote is regarding the site when we submit the quote and that any changes to the site may would effect the cost and time.

The reason i didnt charge is because I feel it would of tarnished our image.

Ive had it a few times that we have other contractors working the same day as us. Maybe that will have to make it onto the terms and conditions.

Got a customer like your one, keeps ringing up and asking when are you doing my trees. The problem is there got the buiders in and have they got some vans, the other day i drove past and there was 12 in the drive and 2 in there field. They must spend all day moving vans.

sounds like someone was looking for a excuse not to work............dare i be so bold?

Dare all you want.:001_rolleyes:

I would rather earn a wage than lose a day. The tree was cut off by obsticles from the access. The job was quoted for us to skim up the tree and fell. With the obsticles it would have been full dismantle with not enough room to stack the material, so a guy would have had to run the chipper whilst I climbed (not ideal for a 2 man team) especially with builders walking in and out.

It would have been a horrible day and too many hazards for the small space we were left, the tidy up would have been awkward too.

No excuses, Its just not worth the hastle and the price reflected the job (low day rate for an early finish).

If i wanted an excuse not to work i would have phoned up my business partner and told him that my arm fell off in my sleep and there was no way i could work. I wouldnt drive to a site to drive back...