Knocking the Top Out of a Poplar

liamjordan

Why the spikes? Sorry but I just do not get it, you posted so you obviously want feedback, but to be honest you did a simple job pretty badly and have created more of a hazard now with more expensive future maintenance for the client.

You shoulda just felled it.

And sorry if my comments are negative its been a long day.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the spikes? Sorry but I just do not get it, you posted so you obviously want feedback, but to be honest you did a simple job pretty badly and have created more of a hazard now with more expensive future maintenance for the client.

Its a Poplar on the edge of a field Marc.In that field the tops of the Grass are eaten by Animals,and the tops grow back.

trees that are being kept generally shouldn't be spiked, yes, but i don't see a problem spiking poplars or willows.

Plus there is hardly any spike marks, its not like i was spiking up and down it all day, ladder up as high as it would go, climb up then spike up to one branch that needed cutting off, spike up to to put the winch rope in, back down to the level of the cut, then just lowered myself down on my friction hitch.

only thing i would say is like has been said, take it in smaller bits dont smash the hedge, also why have you done half the job you took the top off, why leave the side branches untouched how will you reduce them in future. i get no end of re reducing stuff like that give it a few years that will be a right ball ache with no top and side branches towering above. for the sake of 2 mins not doing it :thumbdown:

trees that are being kept generally shouldn't be spiked, yes, but i don't see a problem spiking poplars or willows.

Plus there is hardly any spike marks, its not like i was spiking up and down it all day, ladder up as high as it would go, climb up then spike up to one branch that needed cutting off, spike up to to put the winch rope in, back down to the level of the cut, then just lowered myself down on my friction hitch.

You didn't answer the question.....Why the spikes?

Plus you crushed a section of the hedge????

Great first post...

Its on open forum, I think as long as we can keep it civil opinions should be expressed, and feedback given wether negative or positive.

I just hope flaming ace does not think I am some holier than thou ass, because believe me I have a life membership into the tonking club and do enjoy the dark arts of ***** cutting.