Walnut Tree Prunning

mowandgo

I have pruned a walnut tree for a customer I pruned it much like a fruit tree I took all the rough long snaging branches off made a goblet shape and pruned new growth couple buds back. I did i a couple of weeks ago right in the middle of winter however it has been bleeding from the cuts and its been well bellow freezing so the sap has frozen and the tree looks like a giant icicle factory. The customer and I are now worreid that this will cuase damge I allways understood the winter was by far the best time to prune fruit and nut producing trees I am hopping somebody can tell me what the outcome of said walnut tree will be and the best way to prune it. Any help and sugestions will be very welcome :001_smile: .

Honestly,

Before I ever prune anything 'unfamiliar' I do a bit of revision I look it up in the RHS bumper book of pruning or even google the subject on my phone.

Bit late now I'm afraid, nothing you can do and elastoplast doesn't work on these cuts.

Well before the leaves fall as a guide with July-August being perhaps optimum months.

I have even read that certain varieties just won't tolerate pruning at all which bears the question, what happens if a branch breaks?

They just bleed to death or what?

Ty

ut - oh thanks for your help guys I have made a mistake but at the same time learnt a valuable leson the hard way. I will say i had a good look on the international network with not much luck so this forum has been very useful and I am hoping the next guy pruning a walnut tree thinking itsa fruit tree reads this. Cheers Chris.

We prune them when they are in full leaf, so may-august ideally. As you have found out, they bleed quite a bit otherwise.

Spot on. Full leaf and full of nuts, don't touch when nuts have drop off allways works for me but it a job getting customers to agree but there learning.

ut - oh thanks for your help guys I have made a mistake but at the same time learnt a valuable leson the hard way. I will say i had a good look on the international network with not much luck so this forum has been very useful and I am hoping the next guy pruning a walnut tree thinking itsa fruit tree reads this. Cheers Chris.

Well done mate, good honest post.

Welcome to Arbtalk.