Being ill.

Arran Turner

Outdoors lifestyle means less sickness!

But Sickness Insurance is the answer if it's a worry.

I've just run a quote (my day job is an IFA, I loiter here to learn stuff for when I stop being an IFA) for sickness cover for a 27 year old non smoker in good health - £20pm for £200pw cover.

Pedrowski makes a good point, that when you are long term ill, you cancel all your direct debits, but the cover I've quoted kicks in straight away - often they have 2,3 or 6 month periods at the beginning where you are not covered and that can be a problem.

So, while that problem can be overcome, there is a different problem - you can only insure your income - as a self employed person your income is what you pay your accountant to make look as small as possible...

Hope that helps

Adrian

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sickness cover is a good thing..? As a self employed person it is essential to cover for the unexpected.

One of the benefits of being self employed is to be able to offset cost of running the business against the profit. Buying plant or investing in your business can reduce the amount of tax owed but it looks like you have had a bad year profit wise.

How do others get around this? I mean, if I had to claim on my policy right now, they would request a copy of my last Tax return. Through investment in the company or a clued up accountant, my profit was down considerably from previous years.

Therefore all the last few years of payment will be null and void as they will pay out based on the most recent figures.

My head hurts trying to work this one out...? Any ideas?

Gotta laugh at those who think you can work through a flu. As in proper flu and not a bad cold or a sniffle. Time and again I hear lads sniffling, or sneezing in work and when asked if they are sick they reply with something like "touch of the flu", "this flu is killing me". It's not a flu, it's a cold, and yes you can work through it.

A flu, on the other hand, makes being vertical nearly impossible. Once in my life I have had a proper flu, and no way in hell could anyone work through it. I couldn't stand, let alone walk and working was something I wondered would I ever have the pleasure of doing again. Fever, headache, sweating, shivering (nearly to the point of convulsion), honestly thought the game might be over on a couple of occasions.

We're all human, and while I very rarely miss a day through sickness, there are illnesses that can make working impossible. Health cover is a must if you're the breadwinner.

Every time the insurance advisor comes around to go through my policies, he checks my income and I adjust my premiums accordingly. This meant that when I made a claim they had up to date figures to work off straight away, no need to see the last years tax return. In 15 or 16 years I've only made 2 claims, one for accident and one for sickness, the accident policy recouped me all my previous costs plus more, and so far I've recouped a large sum on the sickness. Of course it's dependent on what you ailment is, I personally would prefer perfect health and not require a policy and having to make a claim.when I was younger I probably thought I was invincible and it would never happen to me, but we can't go through life like this, eventually something will get you. Even if you have a minimum cover, it's worthwhile for your peace of mind.

I'm going to sort out some sick cover methinks. I've got personal injury.... always expected to hurt myself and not be able to work, and that hasn't happened. No sick cover...and what do I get.... sick. Flippin' typical! My worry, though, is that when I apply for it I now have a pre-existing medical condition, and I bet they won't cover me for that despite no diagnosis being made yet!