Drift HD Camera

RC0

Hey Reg,

Huge arbutus, but more importantly an impressive display with the Rope Wrench. I have found using temporary anchors invaluable now, more so than a quick re-direct.

You wouldn't get this problem of sound a blur with the Gopro2:lol::biggrin:

The shape of the Gopro put me off more than anything....it just looks so conspicuous stuck up there.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again

Great scenery and colour Reg, much sharper than the original Drift cam. I just got the Contour... cheap and cheerful. I fancy coming to play up in CA. :)

then you'd better get in shape Ben!

James, the trees in those particular vids weren't all that you know....the arbutus was a bit of a weird leggy thing but the fir at least just a tall bean-pole. Having said that I dont really get an appetite for anything less....and if it ever reached the stage where 'less' was all that was forseeably on offer then I'd most likely find another line of work because I'd othewise loose interest in the job over night.

The Humboldt cut is pretty much favored by most over the conventional out this way....and for working conifers most days it starts to become apparent why that is. We did touch on it in a previous thread, save me repeating myself. Thanks: http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/picture-forum/35344-fir-zip-line.html

As many have said before the Drift with it's extra wide angled lense gives a false impression of height (trees look much taller than they actually are) and the sizes of the branches and timber are distorted (timber sections look much smaller than they actually are, branches look much narrower than they actually are).

Having said that I suppose there's a pay off in that you get to see more of the immediate situation in front of the climber, problem is when you move outside of this 3ft bubble everything is distorted.

Taking everything into consideration I prefer watching treevids filmed with narrower angled lenses as you get closer to seeing the tree, branches and timber as they really were.

As many have said before the Drift with it's extra wide angled lense gives a false impression of height (trees look much taller than they actually are) and the sizes of the branches and timber are distorted (timber sections look much smaller than they actually are, branches look much narrower than they actually are).

Having said that I suppose there's a pay off in that you get to see more of the immediate situation in front of the climber, problem is when you move outside of this 3ft bubble everything is distorted.

Taking everything into consideration I prefer watching treevids filmed with narrower angled lenses as you get closer to seeing the tree, branches and timber as they really were.

am I having dejavu here Tim!

Rest assured, I didn't get a 170 with the intention to trick anyone into believing the trees are taller than they actually are. More to the point that I can capture far more without having to think about where my head is pointing all the time.

Also, if you use reference points i.e the saw (my 3120 for the falling cuts looks more like a 385) and the time it actually takes for the branches or logs to land then you soon get the jist of how big, small or far away something is. That Arbutus was about 80ft x 60, and the fir was about 80 to the first branch with another 40 or so on top of that. Consider that and I dont think the lens so deceptive.

Most importantly, the viewer gets to see just about everything the climber does i.e. his body-parts and placement thereof, the rigging, saws, cutting with limbs/logs falling in their entirety for the most part. Unlike a narrow-angled-lens which is more like looking through a toilet roll for all you get to see.

I used an 85 degree for 2 years and can honestly say for the best part they are a waste of effort, with more luck than judgement involved in capturing anything of worth from a climbing pov. In fact I'd go so far in dissuading anyone from ever spending their money at one:thumbdown:....unless of course they're using it for long range.