Traffic lights on jobs.

hazzygawa

I suppose it depends on how you define 'manned'. I don't see how a remote control is any better then my method using self standing stop/gos and asigning a ground member to each signto change the sign round once the road is clear.

I didn’t say it was better, I just said you don’t need 2 men on the boards

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, but i assume they deem it ok to have unmanned boards aslong as its remote control? In which case I don't see the difference from my system.

I see what you mean, the remote ones are government approved, I bet they would find something wrong with any other system if they wanted to.

I am not a fan of the remote ones because if you want to double red them the other drivers just set off regardless when the see the other end change, I find the best option is to have the traffic control and a beaconed vehicle you can block the road with

Our guys have got unit 2 and 4 of us have unit 10(supervisor) for streetworks. By law you have to have someone on site who is deemed competent to put out the signs, cones, lights etc and to maintain them for the duration of operations. We defer to traffic lights over stop/go as more people obey a red light, (though by no means all of them.)

Until the road traffic act changed in 1991 if a vehicle ran into a set of road works, even if controlled by lights, the blame was on the contractor in the road. Following the revision of 1991 qualified persons are allowed to manage traffic flow and block the road for up to 2 minutes at a time, as mentioned earlier.

Usually the contractor has to get clearance from their local NRSWA, New Roads and Street Works Agency. The road space has to be booked in advance. If space is not booked or there is no-one on site with their streetworks card or if the signage is deemed inadequate a NRSWA officer can and will kick you off the road.

There are obvious safety implications with not having the right training, certification and equipment. The reason for booking road space is so NRSWA can manage traffic flow and keep the emergency services informed. Also it may be that someone turns up to carry out some tree work and the road is being dug up by the gas people just around the corner.

A set of lights should only cost about £125+vat for a day. With LUX it's the same charge for a week as a day. Hiring the correct signage can be pricey and when you use lights you are supposed to carry a set of stop/go boards incase the lights fail.

You can buy a Stopworks lollipop that is similar to the one used for school crossings. This piece of equipment allows you to stop traffic for up to 2 minutes without the need for signage. Say for getting a vehicle on or off site.

That is bang on.

We did that much TM work i bought my own ligts, we then got all the tree work that involved TM as we had the kit.

We used the 'Robo' stop go boards but people just ignored them as no one was standing by the board, made it very dangerous.

A man in the middle of the road with a sign has more precence but it can be dangerous.

TM permits are free, road closures incure a small cost as they have to advertise it in the paper.

We have had inpsections on site and been threatened for having 1 sign missing.

We have also turned up on site with our permit to find there was someone else in our location with lights already out and no permit, thats why you have to get one..

TM can be a nightmare, but if done right can be a huge benefit. Some TM companies are just plain thieves.