Selling top handles to non professionals.

Mesterh

Same in the US .If you have the money you get the saw .They might be nannys in the large metro areas but out here in the corn fields they could care less .

I don't know where they ever got the idea a top handle is so dangerous any way .If you know how to handle a saw it isn't any more of a hazard than any other saw.

I agree with you Al. I believe it all comes back to education of the consumer.

While some folks believe the use of a top handle saw may be dangerous for any not skilled in their use, I have also noticed some who think that there is an unfair advantage due to weekend warriors and the like earning extra $$$.

When I purchased my first top handle there was a video that I was required to watch before I left the store with my new purchase. I was happy to watch and learn since.:thumbup1:. That was a while ago and I know of no dealers here in the US that have that requirement at this time, I think it should be mandatory for all new purchases, since I believe education is still the key. BTW the video was produced by Stihl.

easy-lift guy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess its all down to 'duty of care'. Its not a bad thing...unless you don't have tickets!. I often buy a new top handle at the Arbshow/APF and I have NEVER been asked for my tickets!. Its a bit like insurance....plenty of unqualified people getting public liability...but will the insurance company pay out when they have an accident and it comes to light they have no quals?? :confused1:

The other thing that confuses me is that that I understand they are not be used on the ground, so why do Stihl offer a carving bar?

Can you only use that for carving at height?

although the carving bar fits the 200t,i think they are made for the ms200 [rear handle]

you always see carvers at shows using ms200s:thumbup1:

Does anyone know the LAW on this?

Are you breaking a LAW selling a top handle to anyone without the tickets?

Are you breaking the LAW by using one on the ground?

OR are you going against manufacturers/industry guidelines or contravening insurance conditions?

(This is a plea for FACT, not supposition)

Promise I will stop using uppercase so much in future!

when we finished and passed cs39 the 1st thing our assessor said to us..!

i must tell you boys now youve got the ticket if you get caught using a top handle saw on the ground by HSE you will get fined a £1000 :001_huh:

Strictly speaking it is not illegal to sell a top-handled climbing saw to anyone as there is no law that stipulates you shouldn't.

However the industry and the HSE have a mutual understanding that no dealer should sell one of these saws to anyone without the relevant qualifications to use one for it's intended purpose ie "off the ground" or climbing use. Which would discount pro users who do not posess this qualification.

I have been/am a main dealer for Stihl, Husqvarna and Efco and the dealer policies insist their dealer adhere to this agreement.

We must obtain a copy of the correct entitlement certificate and if it is not the later photo card type it must be accompanied with photo and address verification simply to prevent someone borrowing someone elses non photocard qualification. THE photocopies are then attached to the original sales invoice for verification and inspection where necessary.

when we finished and passed cs39 the 1st thing our assessor said to us..!

i must tell you boys now youve got the ticket if you get caught using a top handle saw on the ground by HSE you will get fined a £1000 :001_huh:

Bit of a sweeping statement.

Perhaps... "I must tell you boys now youve got the ticket if you get caught using a top handle saw on the ground by HSE you may be prosecuted and may get fined a £1000" would have been better:confused1:

Strictly speaking it is not illegal to sell a top-handled climbing saw to anyone as there is no law that stipulates you shouldn't.

However the industry and the HSE have a mutual understanding that no dealer should sell one of these saws to anyone without the relevant qualifications to use one for it's intended purpose ie "off the ground" or climbing use. Which would discount pro users who do not posess this qualification.

I have been/am a main dealer for Stihl, Husqvarna and Efco and the dealer policies insist their dealer adhere to this agreement.

We must obtain a copy of the correct entitlement certificate and if it is not the later photo card type it must be accompanied with photo and address verification simply to prevent someone borrowing someone elses non photocard qualification. THE photocopies are then attached to the original sales invoice for verification and inspection where necessary.

Thanks for that Pleasant, but what is the correct entitlement certificate?

I have asked several main dealers this morning but nobody has been definitive.

I have assumed that it is the CS39 am I correct?