Diesel Chainsaw on its way

TimberCutterDartmoor

Or follow the Swedish folk and use Alkylate Fuel?

How much difference in say Carbon Monoxide or Dioxide does it reduce emissions? I'm interested as CO fumes make me feel sick so I use saws with a respirator mask (got nicknamed the 'masked chainsaw man') And the amount of fuel I use is low.:thumbup1:

I was reflecting on technology developement in the last 35 yrs, my day job is a medical engineer, when I started patient ventilators were driven my 3-speed bike gearboxes with chain drive, this went into 80's tech and now to service a ventilator it's no more boxes of o-rings but plug a laptop in. Say x5 totally different generations of models but with say a chainsaw, in a way it's the same model concept with alot of upgrades, because a 2T motor works.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much difference in say Carbon Monoxide or Dioxide does it reduce emissions? I'm interested as CO fumes make me feel sick so I use saws with a respirator mask (got nicknamed the 'masked chainsaw man') And the amount of fuel I use is low.:thumbup1:

I was reflecting on technology developement in the last 35 yrs, my day job is a medical engineer, when I started patient ventilators were driven my 3-speed bike gearboxes with chain drive, this went into 80's tech and now to service a ventilator it's no more boxes of o-rings but plug a laptop in. Say x5 totally different generations of models but with say a chainsaw, in a way it's the same model concept with alot of upgrades, because a 2T motor works.

Carbon monoxide levels in Aspen fumes are around 80% of 'pump petrol' and aromatic hydrocarbons are only 10%.

Visit the Aspen link to the right of this page and look at 'clean facts' for more detail.

I have been supplying customers for about 4 months and the feedback is incredible, the main bonus for commercial users being the tremendous reduction in fumes.

If you notice the effects of exhaust gases from pump petrol, this stuff is well worth a try. Most people, once they have tried it will not go back to pump petrol.

Many thanks Gardenkit. I used to do alot of backpacking and found the Coleman stoves using their own fuel (white gas) gave out less fumes than unleaded. It's good to enjoy the clean mountain air without feeling like you are in a traffic jam - guess it's the same with your fuel in the woods.:thumbup1:

Many thanks Gardenkit. I used to do alot of backpacking and found the Coleman stoves using their own fuel (white gas) gave out less fumes than unleaded. It's good to enjoy the clean mountain air without feeling like you are in a traffic jam - guess it's the same with your fuel in the woods.:thumbup1:

Brilliant, incidentally, Aspen 4 stroke fuel at £17.40 per 5 litres is much cheaper than Coleman fuel and burns exactly the same. Many campers use it.

Another, rather weird use. is that these fire-eater, sword swallowing type people use it as its better for their health!:lol:

Brilliant, incidentally,

Another, rather weird use. is that these fire-eater, sword swallowing type people use it as its better for their health!:lol:

Still I'ld fit a 'flame trap' to save burning my butt if I swallowed some:blushing:

Back to fuel fumes, my wife is a Practice Nurse she tries to stop people smoking (90% waste of time) but she has this CO (carbon monixide) meter, I tried it after a saw session and it gave a reading for a regular smoker - not good for your health.

For info, CO fumes when inhaled are taken up by red blood cells instead of 02 so it's possible for high levels of CO fumes to in effect - drown you:001_huh:. The CO when absorbed stays in your red blood cells untill they are replaced. or in effect you are on reduced 02 so never at your full lung efficiency.

Just a rumour, but I heard today (from someone who doesn't BS much) that a compression-ignition engine chainsaw has been tested (not in the UK) and more to the point it principally runs on veg oil. It is developed from the model glow-plug type engines, has no need of the ignition system obviously, not sure about fuel induction although it is definately a 2-stroke. Will post more info if I hear it although that might be a head-roll for someone!

Model diesel engines dont run on derv/diesel but run on model diesel fuel which is a mix of ether/kerosene/castor oil at approx £27.00 per 1/2 gal :confused1:

Model diesel engines dont run on derv/diesel but run on model diesel fuel which is a mix of ether/kerosene/castor oil at approx £27.00 per 1/2 gal :confused1:

Wow - that's so envio friendly I would put in a glass case and get my frigging old axe out again:thumbup1:

I am surprised honda have not brought out a 4 stroke petrol chainsaw. I have a 4s strimmer from Honda which produces alot less fumes. Not as powerful as a proper orange strimmer but if it kills me slower I can sacrifice some performance.

Yeah, but a strimmer is always in the same position when you're running the engine. Where would you put the sump on a 4 stroke chainsaw?