Learning about new fangled gear.

Ginja

Cheers peeps!! Great that so many responded.

I'm gathering VT and Hitch climber are the things I should look into first... then spiderjack when I get to somewhere I can have a play with one.

I didnt manage to get to any shows last year, maybe this year I should make a better effort!

So my next question... which is the best show to see new climbing kit???

Muchos gracias amigos!!

:)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most shows have people there.events and displays that you can "get involved" with if you ask nicely:biggrin:

this year there are is AA show at Cirencester, the APF in warickshire, jonesies show later in the year, i went to one at capel manor last year, and the was also the arb fair north by gustharts, there are other shows to like woodfest and the like

most of them get advertised on here when people say "ok, come... who's going:biggrin:"

Luckily I have never used a basic prussic in commercial tree work, just at college. As soon as i passed college, i bought the HC set up from honeybros HitchClimber Friction Hitch System

That was 2 and a half years ago and i think my climbing has improved much quicker than if i used a prussic.

also, a mini pulley and mini VT knot on your lanyard is much better. one handed rope work!

Luckily I have never used a basic prussic in commercial tree work, just at college. As soon as i passed college, i bought the HC set up from honeybros HitchClimber Friction Hitch System

That was 2 and a half years ago and i think my climbing has improved much quicker than if i used a prussic.

also, a mini pulley and mini VT knot on your lanyard is much better. one handed rope work!

Now there are some gruff ol climbers who would say you had it too easy too soon lad!

The spiderjack looks to make climbing even easier than the hitch climber... am I right?

Most shows have people there.events and displays that you can "get involved" with if you ask nicely:biggrin:

this year there are is AA show at Cirencester, the APF in warickshire, jonesies show later in the year, i went to one at capel manor last year, and the was also the arb fair north by gustharts, there are other shows to like woodfest and the like

most of them get advertised on here when people say "ok, come... who's going:biggrin:"

Good stuff, just looked em up.

AA Show - 15-16th June

Woodfest - 28th, 29th, 30th May

APF - 13-15th September

Arb Fair North - There is absolutely nothing on their website :'(

when i quoted VT i meant hitchclimber.

what i'm saying is there any mechanical advantage with the HC? or is just for ease of use when moving around the canopy?

body thrusting with the HC system would look like there is some loss in gain with increased effort, compared to a lockjack or prussic.

I didn't see the point of the DMM pulley being in that system, it seems to me its only benefit is reducing clutter on your bridge.... :001_huh: So far as my experience goes, the pulley is superflous in most instances, it's the rigging plate which makes the difference.... Of course, I'm going to try to make the HC pulley work for a living.... :thumbup1: