Climbing rope lengths & make

Arran Turner

I have a 35M Marlow gecko climbing rope which is a cheap rope from what i gather. I but want to buy a nicer rope, I understand rope is a prefence thing but what are the real quality makes.

And secondly do people have really short length rope roughly 10-15M for conifier hedge work, or is it not really the done thing? and if so does anyone on here cut and splice rope on here?

Thank You

Arran

I have 2 halves of a 35m rope which I nicked with the saw, I cut it in half and sealed the ends, presto, 2 short ropes for little pruning jobs.

I think the premium ropes really are New England [i think the Teufelberger Tachyon is the same?] Yale & Samson...? Like you, I have Marlow, 11mm Aeris, good old English rope!

I have a 35M Marlow gecko climbing rope which is a cheap rope from what i gather. I but want to buy a nicer rope, I understand rope is a prefence thing but what are the real quality makes.

And secondly do people have really short length rope roughly 10-15M for conifier hedge work, or is it not really the done thing? and if so does anyone on here cut and splice rope on here?

Thank You

Arran

Don't take this the wrong way, but your question makes you sound like a muppet. A rope is a tool, until you can tell why it's not good enough for your needs you don't need to change it. You have a perfectly good rope there, and it will do most of the jobs which you will deal with.

If you want to waste some money, go and buy a flash car. (Note I might be having a go abit, given you are trouncing marlow ropes... All my ropes are marlow!)

Don't take this the wrong way, but your question makes you sound like a muppet. A rope is a tool, until you can tell why it's not good enough for your needs you don't need to change it. You have a perfectly good rope there, and it will do most of the jobs which you will deal with.

If you want to waste some money, go and buy a flash car. (Note I might be having a go abit, given you are trouncing marlow ropes... All my ropes are marlow!)

bit harsh, he was only asking.

To be fair mate marlow geko is the worst rope ive ever had the misfortune of climbing on!

As far as premium ropes go it really depends what your lookinmg for?

New England and Yale XTC are nice good all round 16 strand 13mm ropes. If you wnat to stick with the 16 strand but slightly smaller diameter Edelrid XP and Samson arbor master are very good ropes. Out of all those i personally prefer Edelrid XP.

All the above ropes work well in the wet,easy to tie knots in and are all easy to splice.

Only down side really is they can be a tad heavy and can be quite bouncy.

The other ropes to look at is 24 strand double braid ropes. Such as Tachyon,Poison Ivy and the Imori. All these ropes work well with friction cord and mechanical devices. Im currently using Poison Ivy and love it. All these ropes are around the 11.5mm diameter.

If you want something even smaller though then there's Samson Velocity or Yale Blaze but these are thin ropes at only 11mm. This can cause a few problems if you suffer with tennis elbow or carpal tunnel as you have to grip like a mother! haha

Hope some of that helps? There's loads of threads on here to do with climbing lines though if you want more info. Just use the search bar:001_smile:

I wanted create a shorter rope for hedges and small trees, and I was going to use the marlow to do so because it is cheap, then buy a more expensive rope for my main climbing line :001_smile:

If I prefer the marlow gecko after getting a new rope it'll be my loss :001_smile:

Arran

Most of the rope I have was made by a friend of mine in his rope factory.

It can be made to any spec including weird and wonderful core package experiments. If there's anyone here from Canada who wants quality Polyamide Kernmantle ropes for reasonable prices I can put you in touch.

IMG_2165.jpg.0eb9d456342a56a646c21b4cf67b7f09.jpg

Don't forget folks, before you go dissing any brand of rope you have to remember that the big commercial competitors don't often take a lot of care over the rope they produce.

Often running their machines at full tilt from the beginning of the rope to the end without paying attention for example to things like bobbin adjustment or allowing for the change in tension as the bobbin size reduces. That can mean that one end of the same batch of rope is far tighter than the other affecting performance, handling and ware. In fact some of the stuff they do like over heat setting dynamic rope to increase fall factor figures and sales is pretty scary.