Speed Awareness Clinic.

PeteB

In general I don't have any argument when people get done for speeding, but I do object to the general vilification of motorists - we tend now to be looked on as evil for speeding, for burning fossil fuels, you name it - and also the general presumption that if there is ever an accident involving a motorist and a pedestrian then it must be the motorist's fault.

Round my way, especially in the summer when the kids "hang out" outside of an evening, it is entirely normal to see kids sitting on the kerb with their legs in the road. They will cross the road in a way which forces the cars to take avoiding action, and they know exactly what they are doing. I guess it must be "cool".

If a fraction of the money spend targetting motorists was spent educating youngsters that it's actually not clever to out yourself at risk, and that in a vehicle vs person collision there will never be a winner, then more might be achieved. The accident statistics always tell you that if you drove at 15 there would be a better chance of survival, but not that if the victim didn't run out in front of an approaching car there would be a 100% chance of survival. They don't tell you either the proportion of acidents where gormless behaviour by the pedestrian was a contributing factor.

When I grew up there were initiatives (like, if I remember correctly, something called the "Tufty Club", later the Green Cross Code) to educate kids. Now they live in a computer-generated fantasy world where they can be "killed" without ill-effect.

I guess it is probably politically incorrect to suggest that some people today are so unbelievably gormless that you might be doing them a favour to run them over at an early age (and the world a favour by doing so before they've managed to breed excessively).

I guess the point I am trying to make is that road safety is the responsibility of all road users, not just drivers.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two slow moving vehicles traveling together should leave a large gap between each other, so they can be passed individually.

Yeah that always works. Especially whethe tractor slams the anchors on as we don't want to kills some prat in a car, tractors stop quick when you literally jump on the brakes.

Car slowed even more and there was no way the combine would have stopped as quick as the car, hydrostatic gearboxes don't have engine braking, and the brakes are not good on them as they don't really need them in a field so they never get used. Or changed for that matter. Plus 20+ tons of metal plastic and rubber don't like stopping in a hurry.

Let's face It there is no excuse for speeding, or acting like a prat. A saying that comes to mind is, I have never had an accident but seen plenty in the mirror.

Speeding is a very small part of a much wider problem, that of bad driving.

Preventing speeding is like treating the symptoms of a disease rather than curing the disease. Stamp out bad driving - cure the disease - and all the problems will go away.

Lord knows how you do it, though!

in no way speeding is ok and always try do my best to follow the speed limits but it's a big gripe of mine, i spend about 3months of the year driving to different parts of the country on roads don't know trying to find farms and dealers yards, but trying to follow speed limits is a full time job, some days i think i need a spotter like they have in India, driving is my lively hood and very proud of my clean license. i just wish speed limit were more clearly marked aka not hidden signs ect, they could make it so much clearer, rant over:biggrin:

Edited by shep1

How's this for a proper knob: Speeding Bexhill death driver jailed - Sussex Police. Arron Nicolaou had been stopped for speeding twice in the days before he mowed down and killed a pedestrian in Bexhill. He'd been stopped for excess speed, then a couple days later got stopped and given a fixed penalty for 55mph in a 40mph zone, then went and killed the pedestrian while doing 49mph (minimum) in a 30mph zone. Two and a half years in prison and a 5 year ban. He'll be out after a year...... so that's all someone's life is worth. If my wife or kids got hit by someone driving like this then the driver wouldn't make it to court..... Here's a pic of him, just so people can keep an eye out for him in case they see him behind the wheel of a car when he comes out arron_nicolaou.jpg&width=305&height=&altimage=Sussex%20Police

Some interesting posts here - the point of the SAC is to realign drivers to be more responsible and recognise that speed is okay, nut in the right place. Namely a circuit, strip or track..... It was pointed out to us that a speed limit is THE LIMIT, not an advisory, not a suggestion, not an average speed and certainly not the minimum.

Speed limits are not set to raise/reduce revenue, cost us time, reduce noise or other pollution and not really there to save us money in increased vehicle economy. Bu they are there to reduce the likely hood of a serious injury or death if you hit someone less well protected than yourself in a tin box with a belt on and a bag in front of you!

An interesting fact is that the average "response" time from sight to action is 0.7 of a second, 30mph equates to 44 meters per second. Therefore, in reaction time alone, you have traveled well over a length of a bus and knocked that kid flying and that is before your brakes really start to bite!

Another one is, if are driving at 70mph and some dumb ass is doing 100mph and you both brake at the same time. What speed is the other chap doing when you get close to zero? An adrenalin squirting 70mph! Lets hope he wasn't behind you.........

Hmmmm,

Doing about 20 thou a year, driving since 1978, (& crosses fingers) and still got a clean licence, I have never so far got points, a few fortunate escapes mind.

I paid a couple of fixed penalties before the points system came into being.

Both occurances were just a tad under 40 in a 30, both very professionally dealt with by experienced & civilly spoken older policemen.

In both cases empty dry straight roads in broad daylight, with good visibility with no pedestrians or other traffic.

I quite often on the other hand drive well below the posted limits depending on weather conditions and traffic.

However when the road & traffic conditions are right, I do not concern myself so much.

I also agree that speed limits are very poorly posted, fine if the local knows the road, but strangers? how are they supposed to know.

Plus limits go up & down, apparently quite at random.

60-40-50-30-60-30-50-etc etc, etc etc.

I do like the system in Scotland on the A75 with the "countdown" from National speed limit 60 to the Village 30, that is good, simple, timley, unmistakable & clear.

However the key point was made by someone else above, the killer is simply:

(i) Poor driving, which includes inappropriate speed.

Not simply speed per se.

Speed is unfortunately the easiest parameter to moniter robotically/automatically. ( and sorry...... but also use to generate revenue)

Edited by difflock

Hmmmm,

Doing about 20 thou a year, driving since 1978, (& crosses fingers) and still got a clean licence, I have never so far got points, a few fortunate escapes mind.

I paid a couple of fixed penalties before the points system came into being.

Both occurances were just a tad under 40 in a 30, both very professionally dealt with by experienced & civilly spoken older policemen.

In both cases empty dry straight roads in broad daylight, with good visibility with no pedestrians or other traffic.

I quite often on the other hand drive well below the posted limits depending on weather conditions and traffic.

However when the road & traffic conditions are right, I do not concern myself so much.

I also agree that speed limits are very poorly posted, fine if the local knows the road, but strangers? how are they supposed to know.

Plus limits go up & down, apparently quite at random.

60-40-50-30-60-30-50-etc etc, etc etc.

I do like the system in Scotland on the A75 with the "countdown" from National speed limit 60 to the Village 30, that is good, simple, timley, unmistakable & clear.

However the key point was made by someone else above, the killer is simply:

(i) Poor driving, which includes inappropriate speed.

Not simply speed per se.

Speed is unfortunately the easiest parameter to moniter robotically/automatically. ( and sorry...... but also use to generate revenue)

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1: