Climbing a Lombardy Poplar

Steve_C

After a bit of advice prior to a job I have lined up later this week. Got to Climb and dissmantle a Lombardy Poplar - approx 40 foot - as there is not enough space to fell from the ground. (Unless I do a spectacular stunt fell down a single track drive way!!) Never climbed one before.

My plan is to spike up taking the short upright branches off on the way up with handsaw or chainsaw depending on thickness. I will probably leave a few stubs to stand on as I come down. Once at the top I will deal with it as a pole in the usual way.

Questions are is; Are L. Poplars strong enough for this? Anyone know of anything I should be aware of with this particular species?

Any comments welcome guys

Cheers

Steve

I would have thought that at 40 feet tall it will be pretty lightweight stuff so you should be able to drop the top 10 or 15 feet in one go onto a pulley mounted a few feet below, should be plenty strong enough... unless there's fungal or rot problems which is very probable with the bloody things...

I'm always amazed at how strong trees actually are though...

Or go for the stunt fell.... single track lane, that's a huge target! :biggrin: And not a massive tree, climb it, prune as you go up, tie a line on it and go for it....! :001_smile:

I've had more 'disco leg' moments up Lombardys than most trees. For some reason they always feel taller than they are to me. They are normally a doddle once the top is out though, it helps having a groundie that knows how to run rigging smoothly.

However you approach it, remember things like profit, efficiency and safety are all secondary considerations.

Getting good pictures to put on Arbtalk should come first.

:001_tongue:

Good luck with it mate.

Spikes help, a lot!

I remember when i first started out, my first big tree was a Lombardy, and I called my cousin, who is a climber to ask hi how I do it. He said to me 'climb up, and cut bits off as you go.' Thanks Chris!

Take your time, pop is easy as it grows straight up. Good luck.

yea just nibble off limbs as you go,catch bigger ones off the trunk,be aware that they tear real easy,ie barbers chair,so when your double stropped,take your lanyard to your centre attachment on your harness and not your side buckles as if owt tears u will be pinned to it,no massivly dangerous in a smaller pop but can be dangerous in bigger ones .fell top out,catch her off trunk,hold on for the mexican pole wiggle,then just log her on down :)

As long as your tied round the main stem you'll be alright.

Indeed they are not as bad as some make out and we've (I say we I mean Q Got a pick of his 10% reduction on one) done some pretty huge nasty buggers, sure the little branches can be a bit of a gamble the old will it hold or will it fold etc. But on spike with your life line round the main stem on a healthy 40ft'r you'll have no problems BUT its always easy to say this from the comfort of our homes!!! At the end of the day trust your own judgement.

The only bit i do not like is the leaving pegs part for foot holds on the way down, pegs are trouble! Get used to taking them off, they fould lines catch branches and can be a nightmare on a lowering job, better of removing them if you got spikes on.