Not much money in it.....

Logrover

would you say in general if you do logs pretty much the only way to make money/stay competetive is to use a processor? I realise many tree surgeons do logs on the side with just a splitter or dare I say it an axe, But if your doing it day in day out do most of you use processors etc. A bloke near me does a navara load for £35-£40 (2 years ago) to me that seems silly cheap. But he uses a processor so maybe he makes it work like that?

He still has to pay for a processor though, how can he do them for 35 wuid

It,s a mild winter, our customers haven,t burned the logs we sold them before xmas, so this month sold 4 dumpy bags! no use dropping the price as people still have logs, you would have to drop it a lot to get people to buy more that they don,t need and you would kill Febuary and Marchs sales at full price because people have stockpiled your discount logs! Ride it out we live in the Uk it will get cold, what you don,t sell this winter will sell next winter, plus we have a lot of customers that buy 12/16 dumpy bags in the summer to make sure they have good firewood for the next winter, we have one guy thats 2 years ahead! Logs will never make me rich, but i,m happy where i am in life, been my own boss, spending time in the woods, playing with trucks and tractors and cranes, spending time with my family and horses. We only spend the money we have we don,t borrow money.

He still has to pay for a processor though, how can he do them for 35 wuid

Well, you can't, I try and do the maths he can fill a pickup in around 20mins, deliver it local in 30 mins, 10 mins for fathing around with stuff. so I guess he does 5-6 loads a day split and delivered, comes to maybe £200 a day, free wood, but after expenses must come away with very little, just a living I should think, He does tree work too mostly to get the wood, only the type he can do with his valmet roofcrane.

Well im moving soon, at least before next winter so need rid really. I was lucky to get about 5-6 ton ash/oak free so all its cost me is time moving it, cutting and splitting it. It was a test to see if it was worth it round here, clearly not! If its local ie a few miles i dont mind selling it cheap as its all a bonus to me but otherwise its too much hassle especially with diesel being pricey. As for amount no idea how many logs but its back of a land rover, ie over a m3.

Im much better off doing the timber cutting all week at £17 a ton! :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

what are you cutting for this rate:001_smile:

Well im moving soon, at least before next winter so need rid really. I was lucky to get about 5-6 ton ash/oak free so all its cost me is time moving it, cutting and splitting it. It was a test to see if it was worth it round here, clearly not! If its local ie a few miles i dont mind selling it cheap as its all a bonus to me but otherwise its too much hassle especially with diesel being pricey. As for amount no idea how many logs but its back of a land rover, ie over a m3.

Im much better off doing the timber cutting all week at £17 a ton! :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

what are you cutting for this rate:001_smile:

I wondered that too :001_smile:

Im much better off doing the timber cutting all week at £17 a ton! :biggrin:

£17 a ton that sounds good i only used to get £10 how times have changed up there. With the wrong felling our thinning site I had to work bloody hard to make a 100 pun a day :001_smile:

firewood is very quiet this year,personally id say stick with higher prices,it avoids the time wasters ringing,also some folk dont like to see a cheap price as they begin to assume its a dodgy outfit flogging it on the side.Its the cumbrian cash curse buddy everyone's poor as can be and tight as crabs tush round these parts lol.

Well i did 2 loads today 35 quid each, one for the pub 4 feet from my house and one for across the square so i dont mind, its cheap i need a bit of cash..sorted! Well im going to do some cutting for another guy near penrith at some point and i will get £9 a ton but its much bigger stuff. Roughly it all balances out to £10 still, make less on tiny stuff, more on bigger stuff= average. An yes its hard work but its work! Can choose any day to work, how long etc so im happy! :biggrin:

Boss is trying to get a day rate for some very small stuff since there is no money to be made there!