Sweet Chestnuts, Hanbury

John Hancock

Is it true that Bats live around the periphery of woods and not in the middle.

If so why do we make habitat for them deep within?? :bored:

Different species have different Habitat niches, with regards to the recent habitat creation we've been involved in, although deep within woodland, most were either road/path side or next to a watercourse, all with pretty open flight paths.

Thing with Monards/Toppards/Pollards or Monoliths is that their natural cousins are more often than not felled,

This needs redressing

I was inspired by David's woodland shots last night, so this morning I got in the old disco' and drove down to Hanbury, Worcestershire.

The sun was out all the way down as I was driving, as soon as a parked up it started raining ! :mad1:

See what you think....

Liking it John,

how big's the site, who manages it?

I always try to make it into woodland around this time and in the spring for the bluebells.

Lifts me spirits every time

Edited by Monkey-D

Liking it John,

how big's the site, who manages it?

I always try to make it into woodland around this time and in the spring for the bluebells.

Lifts me spirits every time

Worcestershire Wildlife Trust mate, I dont know which contractors they use though....Just lifted this from their site.....

Also known as Hanbury Woods this is a very well known and popular reserve. It consists of two old commons covering 39 acres (15.5 hectares) which were, in previous centuries, maintained as wood pasture - an almost parkland type landscape. The Trust acquired the site to protect the old trees and their associated wildlife.

Woodlands have been grazed to create wood pasture since at least the Middle Ages a practice that is often associated with old commons, where the owner granted rights to commoners that allowed grazing by cattle, sheep, and pigs. Often trees were planted and protected to grow large timber as few self-set saplings were able to survive the grazing, giving rise to old, widely spaced trees with a grassy woodland floor with few shrubs – something between woodland and parkland.

The trees were often pollarded (branches harvested for small timber, cut at head height or above, out of the reach of grazing animals), and allowed to re-grow. The oldest trees on the common are several hundred years old, and many bear the signs of pollarding. This helped them to survive because they were of little timber value, and pollards are among the oldest trees we have in this country.

Many are ancient beech and sweet chestnut pollards together with big oaks, believed to be 300-400 years old, with spreading crowns typical of trees which have grown in open conditions.

Edited by John Hancock

Worcestershire Wildlife Trust mate, I dont know which contractors they use though....Just lifted this from their site.....

The main contractor is Neil Mclean he also does local bat surveys

Also known as Hanbury Woods this is a very well known and popular reserve. It consists of two old commons covering 39 acres (15.5 hectares) which were, in previous centuries, maintained as wood pasture - an almost parkland type landscape. The Trust acquired the site to protect the old trees and their associated wildlife.

The area is also known as Pipers Hill Common I have the privilage of living about 200 Yards from the site:001_cool:

Tony