Anyone using 123 reg for web hosting?

karlton

• 1 month later...

How does 123 work? If I register a website on there say for example treesurgery.co.uk and it works about 6.99£ or so, who owns that website name? I presume there's a minimum time you have to be with them for, after that if you decide to leave who owns the site name? Don't really understand website hosting etc and don't wanna buy a site then lose it in 12 months??

You pay 123reg £6.99 for them to register the domain name (treesurgery.co.uk) with the domain registry (nominet for .co.uk) for one year.

So you are basically leasing the domain name for that period of time.

If you decide you no longer want it you can let the name expire which means that someone else can then lease it.

If you wanted to keep the name you can set it to automatically renew and on top of this they (123reg) will email you to tell you when theres 60 days 45 days etc etc until it expires.

On top of the £6.99 you would then have to buy website hosting or if you only need one page most of the domain registrars like 123reg will give you a page or so for free.

Dan

Not really.

If you allow it to lapse then after a certain period 75-90 days someone else could register your domain name and pinch it.

However there is nothing stopping you cancelling your web hosting with 123reg and transferring the name across to another provider, subject obviously to terms and conditions.

If your really stuck PM me and I can register the domain name for you if you paypal the fees to me :-)

• 1 year later...