Can I ??? More lights on truck.

hazzygawa

Reversing light is limited by law to 21 watts, so to wire these in to the reversing light circuit would be illegal.

As "work lights" they would be allowed but again there are restrictions - they must be wired to an illuminated switch (or have a seperate warning light on the dash) and, if used on the public highway, they can only be used in conjunction with an amber beacon, i.e., you mustn't use the worklights on their own.

Having said all that, are you likely to get booked for it? I doubt it!

I have a pair of LED worklights on the back of my Defender. It is a double-cab, but I noticed that it had all the wiring in place (except for the actual switch) for the heated rear window, including the relay! I therefore decided that the easiest way to wire them up was to buy a HRW switch, which just needed the harness plugged in to it, and wire the lights in instead of the HRW. I made one small alteration so that the power to the switch is from a permanent live (actually taken from the hazard switch which is next to the HRW switch) since normally the HRW only works with the ignition on.

Result, a pair of bright, low current worklights, which are fused, relay controlled and have a warning light on the switch AND a warning light in the instrument cluster. I don't have a permanent amber beacon fitted, to of course these lights are only ever used on private land!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wired up orange beacons on my old transit tipper, simply by unclipping a cig lighters positive and negative and clipping them on a halfords switch then wiring the light to the switch, im sure you can do the same with any chosen light????

Well im sure you can run a switch from your battery, positive and negative from the battery to the switch then another positive and negative from the switch to your lights? Im sure i have done it this way before i cant remember !

Well im sure you can run a switch from your battery, positive and negative from the battery to the switch then another positive and negative from the switch to your lights? Im sure i have done it this way before i cant remember !

That’s double pole switching and is totally unnecessary on 12 volt.

If you are fitting supplementary wiring find the main fuse board and see if there is a spare, otherwise take a live spur and fuse it where you take it off.

Run the live to the (single pole) switch and earth the load through the chassis, body or better yet an earthing point.

That’s double pole switching and is totally unnecessary on 12 volt.

If you are fitting supplementary wiring find the main fuse board and see if there is a spare, otherwise take a live spur and fuse it where you take it off.

Run the live to the (single pole) switch and earth the load through the chassis, body or better yet an earthing point.

:pan: sorry just remember doing it like this once! your way is best. :thumbup1: