Public liability - is this normal?

Pedroski

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It goes like this. My client agrees for some tree work to be done. The tree work is too much for me to do - I landscape, I fence, I climb for fun, but I don't want to go up trees with chainsaws and it's certainly not what I'm qualified to do. So I get another firm in to do the tree job, negotiate a price for the job with them and I give them the job to do how they see best and pay them to do the job. The job they do is theirs. I help out with dragging brash and logging just because I want to. When it's all finished my client pays me.

I believe I'm in the clear. The NFU lady seemed to think so. She just didn't want to insure for me telling the tree firm how to work, which I don't as they know best and I leave them to it.

If the firm you use can choose when they do the work and is in control of the works then OK

Check they have insurance for your own peace of mind.

The issue is possibly with you on site.

Does this constitute you controlling the works- personally I think it does unless the firm you use is paying you as a subbie.

You are after all overseeing the job.

I assume, then, that I'm ok with what I do. For the trees I get in a self-employed sub-contractor who has his own team, his own public liability and employers liability, and his own personal injury insurance. I say to him what I want done (or what the customer wants done) and leave him to it. He makes the decisions and runs the tree part, and has me dragging brush and logging.

Exactly what I do. As soon as a job gets beyond me as a 1 man band, I pass the job onto one of the guys I work for as a subby and they give me a little 'finder's fee' in the form of a higher day rate. It's their job so they are running the site , I am happy as I am earning and the customer is happy because I am on site so they aren't getting unknowns. :thumbup1: