Twisted Rope Help

Treespasser

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what hitch do you also? some hitches on decent twist the rope, there is a way of stopping this by holding the hitch in a certain way:biggrin:

Taylor Hamal told me that one, and it works:thumbup:

I usually use the standard prussik, and more often the swabish prussik.

Would you mind explaining this method?

Thank you very much,

Treespasser

yes, as you descend on you hitch watch the rope going into the hitch from underneath, if the rope is twisting anti-clockwise get hold of your hitch know with thumb and finger and twist it clockwise till the rope stops twisting and vice versa for clockwise twist:biggrin:

drop the tail over a low branch then when decending go over the other side so the tail is above you and it wont coil.

Would that not make it harder to decend? as the tail is now directed above you and pulling the underside of the friction hitch upwards?

Treespasser

yes, as you descend on you hitch watch the rope going into the hitch from underneath, if the rope is twisting anti-clockwise get hold of your hitch know with thumb and finger and twist it clockwise till the rope stops twisting and vice versa for clockwise twist:biggrin:

Wow! Thank you for sharing this! I will try it out! :biggrin:

Treespasser

I always coil the rope into a Gasket Hitch. As you mentioned loose bags in your previous comment, I gather it is best to feed the rope into a bag?

Treespasser

You could give it a try.

Just flake the rope into a bag, or a garden trug, and see if it pays out without the twists.