EKN Kolibri Harness

Mr Ed

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not so far. I have tried other leg-loop harnesses in the past that have nearly killed me, just cut right in and had a real choking effect, I weigh 11 st. On one particular occasion I turned out my worst pruning job ever because I was so uncomfortable and distracted as a result. The kolibri leg loops appear longer than the other harnesses I tried, so that, combined with the fact that they are rigid seems to spread out the pressure and choking effect that I experienced wearing the others.

The only sticking point that I can envisage is if a person had great big thighs (I don’t) which would then have to squeeze into the mold.

A seat harness has always suited my particular style of climbing better but since I’ve become aware that my hips are getting damaged as a result, I’ve accepted the fact that I have to switch to leg loops if I want to continue climbing.

I like the adjustment, the attachment points, the bridge etc, it just has a real solid feel to it. I have looked at other harness this year, some good, others just too fragile looking i.e. I doubt they'd even last me a year with such optimistic stitching, fabric and design.

Hey, each to their own….absolutely! It’s a shame you can’t try before you buy with something as personal as a harness, which is why I feel pretty lucky in choosing this one:proud:

what damage? i have a few probs with not getting comfy because of my hips...........

Hey don’t panic vduben, your problems might be totally unrelated. Also, the harnesses that I spent many years working in were terrible compared to what is common place now day’s.

First off, I’m not one to complain about a little discomfort here and there, I’ve climbed through all kinds of injuries even broken hands. But this was different in the fact that it was affecting me outside of work, like in bed. The discomfort had become so bad that I just had to get up after a few hour of lying there. So basically I’d have to get up at weekends the same time as normal because it was just too painful otherwise. Quite frustrating really but destined to get worse if I didn’t act.

I am lucky enough to know a person that specializes in that area and it didn’t take them long to convince me that sitting in that style of saddle for long periods over the years was at the root of the problem; so in the mean time I’ve made a consistent effort to change my climbing habit’s before buying a new one. I tightened the seat and leg-straps right up in an attempt to simulate the feel of a leg-loop harness. I’ve also taken every opportunity to find something to stand on while in a tree as opposed to just hanging there. This has definitely helped and what with now switching to the kolibri, I think I’ve caught it in time.

Some people appear to purchase and switch harnesses like fashion accessories…..perhaps this is true in some cases, perhaps others are just very passionate about climbing…full stop. Personally, my kit is my livelihood, first an foremost, which is why I’ve had to wake up and make some changes if I want my career to continue. At the end of the day though, we’re all built slightly differently, so it’s only critical to me but perhaps still relative to others!

Tockmal, I'm very happy with the slidind d, and as far as I can remember without going outside to the shed, unbuckle's so you could add another if you wanted to. I'll have a look later.

I didn’t have to rig the tree, thankfully, as it had multiple splits around the trunk, not just the one in the picture. We just got the top out yesterday (a dark and damp day at that) but will wait for the parks grounds-men to clean it up before bringing the rest down next weekend. The stems to the right of the first picture originate from that split section which had actually gone un-noticed up until last week. I suppose I should have put these in the picture forum really but seems as you asked…

STILL0019.jpg.11acf844cc71cc60d7fd5d65944371d4.jpg

STILL0011.jpg.54c01667268e7eeb3f285a11770a7b69.jpg

5976532161d3c_Picture026.jpg.55ca7c20b888607ddd73dd95fcaa3ab6.jpg