New look

Steve Bullman

I've only looked at this thread so far, but the main content has been pushed down to start below the bottom of the right hand column of ads (IE6, WinXP). It's fine if Firefox. This is usually down to tweaking some of widths specified for divs, and then making sure you test in a wide range of different browsers.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be an issue with the version of IE. I see the problem on my work machine with IE6. IE, particularly earlier versions, use a non standard concept of the 'box model'. Consequently, given the same width specification IE will display things slightly wider. I think you just need to tinker on a test bed. Increase the right margin on main_content to start with. You may want to use conditional comments (eg <!--[if lt IE 7]> ) to include a different style sheet for IE only once you've sorted it.

It could also be a nasty issue with floats that is a complete pig to debug.

Another thing Steve. I notice someone else has commented on page load time. The pages are now generally over half a MB in size. This one, as I write, comes in at 668kB. 475kB of that is in the 72 images, and 170kB in 12 external scripts. I should look at trying to slim this down. Notably, the timberwolf animated gif alone accounts for 110kB, and the rather nice gradient tree background another 57kB. A slowish mobile connection is really going to struggle with this.