Books !

Maxnaggle

Hi everyone, hope you all had a nice christmas n new year!

I was just wondering if anyone could reccomend me any books to help me on the theory side of arboriculture? starting from the ground up really, so ive had a look on amazon and collins do a 'tree guide' for the UK and europe, so will be picking that one up,

any reccomendations would be good - no point in me learning how to use a saw if i dont know what the ? to do with it!

thanks !

It completely depends on where your interests lie. Arb has so many extra little topics that it's tricky to cover them all!

I like my fungi so I've got 5 books on them. Tree identification is always good so I've got lots of books on that.

Also got books on bonsai, laws, pruning, woodland management, plant physiology, hazard management.

The books with the yellow covers with communities and local government on the front, tree hazard management, body language of trees and diagnosis of I'll health in trees are all must haves for an arb.

Amazon is a good resource for books. I know Jo at treesource has a good selection, but it does pay to shop around!

Trees management and cultivation by bob watson will cover most things, the ISA certification handbook is also really good if a little expensive. - i think these are best for basic theory. a tree guide for sure, collins are top imop.

if forestry is your thing then forestry for the agent and surveyor by cyril heart is a good start

shigo can be a bit hard going and not the nest for getting your ground knowledge from but is well worth it.

An Illustrated Guide to pruning, Third Edition. By Doctor Edward F. Gillman This book is extremely well documented while at the same time easy to read with many Illustrations and Color pictures. Current price via Amazon.com $74.63, that is a steal compared to the retail price I paid just a few months ago, Ouch!. This book is a must read and a fine addition to anyone's library in the Arboricultural Industry.

easy-lift guy

After the obvious identification books like Alan Mitchells Field Guide to Trees of Britain and Europe then I would recommend to undersand the mechanics of trees then you need some C. Mattheck, expensive but very good. And of course to understand the biology of trees you need Shigo also very expensive, just depends how in depth you want to get. Mattheck books are very easy to get to grips with.

arb association have a fungus book out which have colour photos of the fungus and gd descriptions and hazards of each type and fruit bodies well worth a look amazon sell it i have heard collins are relesing a fungus book as well similar to there tree id book in april may time