Arbtalk in 2012

Steve Bullman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having read through this thread since my first post I'd like to expand my earlier suggestion into an 'ArbWiki'...!

It could encompass the equipment encylopedia I asked for, also the tree species / latin names request, terminology, there could be pages for different types of cuts and felling techniques all nicely cross referenced in the same way that wikipedia does it...

And we could all contribute to that then rather than leaving it up to Steve and the mods to do all the work....

The knot guide could be migrated into it as well I suppose...?

That would be some resource!

And we could all contribute to that then rather than leaving it up to Steve and the mods to do all the work....

Its a good idea except for this part. Any resource that id put on arbtalk would have to be done properly...having it open to anyone to add stuff will end up with a lot of misinformation, which on the contrary to your above statement will just create even more work for me and the mods!

Sorry, I didn't mean as a free for all, the forum proper is for that!

I meant you could establish a larger group of contributors, fact checkers and editors to compile and publish the approved articles rather than just rely on the existing mod team...

I believe behind Wikipedia articles there is a discussion forum and only once the editing team agree that all criteria for factual accuracy have been met, does the article get published into the public domain....?

Could that be done in this instance...? I guess a separate arb-wiki forum accessible only by the editing team would be easy to set up, it's just board permissions right...? The actual platform for the wiki I would have no idea on!

Its partly that, but I liked the way that before you could just browse through, now I see threads, click on them ,then have to click on another link, and I find that on the rare occasion that someone has bothered to put a pic up, quite often if i click on the pics nothing happens. It just doesnt seem to 'work' for me.

Hi Steve,

Firstly, thank you for helping to run such a valuable resource.

A few suggestions:

A professional membership level that would provide a profile of the Arborists business, the area they cover, contact number, back link to web site etc with an on-line gallery for professionals to post pics of their jobs, you could offer this as a paid level for pro members.

Perhaps a bit more information for the users profile, this would allow other members to more accurately asses the posters level of experience, before making judgement in their response posts.

Happy New Year to all.