Husky 455 Rancher starting problems

dale@coastal

Firstly check the spark, pop the plug out and put it in the cap, earth it on the cylinder head away from the plug hole (I have had flames 1' long:001_rolleyes:) and pull the engine over - you should get a nice fat spark.

Turn the machine upside down with the stop button ON, and pull the engine over, look for fuel running or spattering out of the plug hole.

Take the exhaust off and inspect the front side of the piston - it should be wet and light grey with no vertical scores or marking.

Take the air filter off and make sure the choke flap closes when the choke is on, push the choke in and open the throttle - listen for a slight click as soon as you open the throttle, it will only happen once and is the fast idle start circuit clicking off.

If all this checks out, warm the plug with the gas hob or plumbers torch and replace it.

The engine should have a spark, it should dampen the plug in 5 pulls with the choke on and flood it in 15, you should get the engine to fire and die immediately with the choke on within 5 pulls and should then start within 2 pulls with the choke off.

Spark, compression and fuel is what the engine needs to run.

let us know how you get on with these basic checks - try to start the saw with the decomp out - it will raise the compression and should help it start!

As Rover says "there should be" Just pop the top cover , take off the air filter and look down the intake . If the butter fly valve is closed when the choke lever is out that is correct , if its still closed when you push it in then there is your problem .

Cheers for the advice spud - I'll follow your advice and post the results! As a newbie I'm a bit apprehensive about the 1" flame bit around petrol!!!

Just be aware that if you test the spark out near the spark plug hole, the engine may kick out unburnt fuel that may ignite - quite spectacular when it happens:001_rolleyes:

Thanks for the warning Spud.

As it happens, the problem revealed itself to me when, armed with a printed sheet with your sage words of advice, I removed the saw's top cover...

...to find that the rubber cap was not attached to the top of the spark plug. I had obviously failed to properly secure it when I had last checked in there. I pushed the cap back on (properly) and it started first time!

Thanks for the advice though - I've put it with my manual to be of future use.

Cheers

Dale