Visiting Redwoods

Taupotreeman

We're heading out that way for a couple of weeks in April and we've got our itinerary sorted but any insider tips would be appreciated.

SF for a few days sightseeing then hiring an RV and spending 3 nights in Yosemite. I've got the campground booking sorted, and will have snow chains just in case. Then heading across to Monterey and up the Atlantic Highway back to SF.

Finishing off with a couple of days in Vegas and a visit to the Grand Canyon.

Reckoning on Mariposa Grove as the main tree fix, but open to other suggestions subject to convincing the rest of the family. Not sure I'd get away with a long drive to "go and look at more trees". What do you reckon?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're heading out that way for a couple of weeks in April and we've got our itinerary sorted but any insider tips would be appreciated.

SF for a few days sightseeing then hiring an RV and spending 3 nights in Yosemite. I've got the campground booking sorted, and will have snow chains just in case. Then heading across to Monterey and up the Atlantic Highway back to SF.

Finishing off with a couple of days in Vegas and a visit to the Grand Canyon.

Reckoning on Mariposa Grove as the main tree fix, but open to other suggestions subject to convincing the rest of the family. Not sure I'd get away with a long drive to "go and look at more trees". What do you reckon?

If you are going in April, and you plan to see Giant Sequoias rather than Coast Redwoods close to the ocean, dig for information about snow in the area.

One tour description reads ...

The Giant Sequoias are best visited between May and October. During the rest of the year, snow and ice conditions may prevent access to roads and trails. In this event, other activities may be substituted in its place.

The tree below is the Tall Tree or "Rockefeller Tree", former world's tallest, in Humboldt Redwoods State Park south of Fortuna, CA.

Tall_600.jpg

Before I go out for some landscape / tree work this morning, here's an adjusted version of a huge Coast Redwood in Jedediah Smith park, near Crescent City. Although tweaked, this one seems to lend a nice representation ... This is "Screaming Titans", which IMO seems amongst the hardest to get a really good shot and composition and lighting.

Sc_T_Red_1200.jpg

If you are going in April, and you plan to see Giant Sequoias rather than Coast Redwoods close to the ocean, dig for information about snow in the area.

Apparently it's possible that there will still be snow in April, but it's unlikely to be a major problem. So I'm told! We'll have snow chains just in case, but don't plan to use them, and we may need to walk the last bit up to Mariposa Grove.

What I'm not sure about is whether we should also do a trip up the Coast North of SF. If it was just me I'd do it, but it would be a load more driving which isn't a favourite activity for the rest of the family.

Apparently it's possible that there will still be snow in April, but it's unlikely to be a major problem. So I'm told! We'll have snow chains just in case, but don't plan to use them, and we may need to walk the last bit up to Mariposa Grove.

What I'm not sure about is whether we should also do a trip up the Coast North of SF. If it was just me I'd do it, but it would be a load more driving which isn't a favourite activity for the rest of the family.

Several people who have spent a lot of time in both Giant Sequoia and Coast Redwood, have shared that the Coast Redwood forest is the more awesome feeling ... on average. But they love both.

If you want Coast Redwoods north of SF, it would mean a good, maybe, 6 hours to reach, say, Humboldt Redwoods State Park. The scenery could be lovely, but then that depends on what weather you were dealt.

If the Giant Sequoia are available, bet you will be very satisfied with that, if that's all you can squeeze in. You may not get to see the world's tallest trees that way, but at least many of the biggest.

Planning a trip in June this year to climb Mount Whitney in the sierra Nevada and then have a couple of weeks in California seeing the sites would dearly love to see the coast redwoods and giant sequoias thinking of flying into LA driving to the mountain for the climb and then heading to San Francisco to fly out a few weeks later any sugestions on places to visit along the way.

Planning a trip in June this year to climb Mount Whitney in the sierra Nevada and then have a couple of weeks in California seeing the sites would dearly love to see the coast redwoods and giant sequoias thinking of flying into LA driving to the mountain for the climb and then heading to San Francisco to fly out a few weeks later any sugestions on places to visit along the way.

If it's possible, and probably is, I'm guessing you can buy yourself and extra day over here if you plan your driving to miss the rush-hour traffic to get to your destinations.

And near the Giant Sequoias, if you go there, or Yosemite, if you can avoid Friday, Saturday or Sunday, and visit on weekdays, that may gain you a half day and a better time.

In the Coast Redwoods, the best parks between like Garberville and Crescent City, rush hour will barely be a factor.

In the Coast Redwoods, it's a shame to spend less than 2 days, not including travel. It's similar with the Giant Sequoia tree too.

Not sure whether San Francisco is worth a day or three. I'm not much of a city person, and sometimes one day passing through makes me happy.

You taking an RV, or driving a car. RVs are cool in one way, but seem sluggish compared to the quick and easy option of rental cars and getting in and out of motels.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone in Humboldt County, California, requested some redwood photos for something ... and here's one of the photos from today.

The sun came out too bright, very early, so we improvised and used a few locations in Prairie Creek redwoods I haven't utilized much before.

Rdwd_1_600.jpg.1ff82f6ad340330211e9cbcfb611bd44.jpg