Money or business?

luftwaffe

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would spend 100k on a log cabin at the bottom of the garden, 65k of that would be the latest scanning elecron microscope along with other neat tools from rhintech, i would then become the biggest nerd on the planet and grow a beard!

Beard? You'll need a pair of socks under your sandals too then.

100k for me.would mean clearing a chunk of my mortgage.so I could take April may and June.off.each year. Id then take my kids and our camper and embark on the slowest round the world tour ever. travel 3 months, park the van up somewhere secure then come.home.to.work for.a.bit

Thanks for your answer, The best so far,

i agree on most things you say except gold is safe a haven, in the event of a market sell off., gold will fall alongside other assets, as investors will liquidate all other paper investments to offset other losses elsewhere,

Gold recently has pulled back from $1920 to $1580 during the Eurozone crisis.

Gold pulled back because the price at $1900 was panic nonsense..and I'm glad to say i made a few K around then out of it. If you look at long term gold price charts then it has (rationally) gone up with general inflation. As I said it's not an investment in the sense of making money...that would be gold speculation. It's a safe haven for if/when banks or currencies go under.

Extrapolate gold charts of the last several years and the 'true' price should probably be around the $1500-1600 mark. Yes it may well go down if money collapsed but you could bet that whenever money recovered then the gold would regain that value..or at the very worst still have a value. Something you can't say for any shares or even deposits in banks..even those banks supported by a government will lose value if that government just start printing notes and devaluing itself.

If investing in gold you do need to make sure it's genuine metal as opposed to paper gold and read and understand the different ways you can do that and their own inherent costs (trade charges and deposit/insurance charges).

The other point about gold is that it allows currency trading without currency exchange costs. say you bought in pounds and the pound goes down..then selling in pounds make's more pounds..but you could speculate and sell ina different currency..

As far as i see, IF you got a 100 grand and dont know how to make it into more money, you aint ernted it, or you aint done it the right way...

What you got to understand is money is not eveything to some poeple. As far as children, they are your only investment. My father is a weathly man, with a very bad back and gray hair, iam a weathly young man because hes got a very bad back and gray hair. Am his investment and hopefully my children will not even have to think about money.

Thats how i see it, but am lucky. Ask me dad lol he'll probs have a different answer !

Pay my debts off have a holiday bit of new kit and a few grand in the bank.

With no debts I would not have to work as hard and could spend extra time with my family.

But I bet what would happen is I would work harder and the wife would spend more money.

I'd finish decorating the house, put it up for rent and then fly out to Alaska, buy an old double cab pickup (old Ram or chevy) stick a demount camper on the back and go where I felt at the pace I felt like, maybe even heading down into BC for a bit too. When I felt like it I'd buy a bit of land and build a cabin and live a simple life. If I felt like it I'd come back home and go back to work, using whatever (if any) was left of the 100k to put down as deposit on a valmet and roofmount with harvesting head :biggrin: