New log merchants

philg

Competition is savage up here at present. those who sell wet wood do not last. The main problem is load size.

One guy near me sells for 30 quid a load for softwood I sell for 100 quid.

His load is a small halfords trailer holding about 0.5 cube. My load is 2.5 cube.

on the phone customers only hear price. They cant compute quantity.

kwfhomepage

If the customer is very local you could tell them you would do a £30 load but they would get more wood from you than the other guy and it would be drier as well:thumbup1:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came across some oak sold cheaply to a new stove owner that I had delivered his stove tonight.

Been felled 5 years !!, logged since mid summer, 20-22%, so to wet for best results. I have advised the customer to store it inside for another 12 months when it will be ideal, meanwhile have some of my nice dry soft !!.

A

20-22% is superb moisture levels for oak. Just how cheap was it, might be worth shiipping all he's got into my yard:sneaky2:

Yes loads of newbies round here , i think that in the last 2 years there are about 22 firewood guys started up in a 20 mile radius plus around 10 that have been going a long time

The thing is they seem to get a grant and turn up with a new prosseser

Its not until you talk to the dealers you find out how many prossesers there is close to you

The grants available tempt 'newbies' to get a processor etc, then they find they cant source volumes of timber/get enough customers, just dont realise how much hard work involved.

Why dont the people giving grants realise they are flooding the market, they want (government bodies promoting firewood/bio mass eg: Northwoods) firewood sold seasoned at realistic prices that reflect the amount of work and machinery used/ provide employment, then when everyone jumps on the bandwagon it is impossible to sell at prices that enable you to run your business!!!

I dont think the grants are given to the right areas of industry, with enough thought given to other business in an area.

Who are giving out these grants? I'd love to ramp the business up, but can't take the risk of a large loan to do so in this economy. My product is high-quality, delivered on time with a smile to customers with free advice and support. I'd love to help put more well-seasoned firewood into the market, but it'll take significant investment.

If the government are really making grants to such businesses, I'd love to hear about it!

hello all i have been thinking about loads trailer , dumpy bag , builders bag , netts, van load ,they are all different and i bet no too loads are the same so very difficult to compare people dont realise , thats without moisture content , hard wood , softwood sort that lot out ! happy crimbo to all :001_rolleyes:

I started selling logs before i could drive some 25 years ago and to be fair around me there has only been 2 or 3 merchants selling firewood , but in the last couple of years we have been flooded with new have a go Harrys trying to undercut us. The worst was the most recent one who smothered the area with signs "seasoned harwood logs from £50 a load" - my mate phoned them and its a builders bag of softwood for £50 and £60 for hardwood which if were in a cubic metre bag wouldnt be far of our prices - so the answer to the problem - take down all his signs :thumbup: - though he phoned my mate who took them down and threatened him with GBH - perhaps they steel bronze war plaques at the weekend !!

If I were local to you I would be that bloke. OK, I wouldn't threaten to do your mate over, but if you haven't got the nous to get some signs and adverts out then don't think you can sit on your arse, expecting all orders to come your way because your the local yokel :001_rolleyes:

The bloke was honest, as previously mentioned 'a builders bag of logs' is not a description that will see you prosecuted by trading standards. So to take down his adverts smacks of throwing your toys out of the pram.

If you're not charging £50-60 a builders bag delivered (half cube) then you're what I'd term 'a busy fool' :lol:

Who are giving out these grants? I'd love to ramp the business up, but can't take the risk of a large loan to do so in this economy. My product is high-quality, delivered on time with a smile to customers with free advice and support. I'd love to help put more well-seasoned firewood into the market, but it'll take significant investment.

If the government are really making grants to such businesses, I'd love to hear about it!

Grants are out there at the moment unfortunately only to a maximum of 40% which still means 60% to find from your own savings as despite assurances from banks that there lending to small business in reality there not.

Grants are out there at the moment unfortunately only to a maximum of 40% which still means 60% to find from your own savings as despite assurances from banks that there lending to small business in reality there not.

not entirely true, with a good sensible realistic business plan most banks will listen to you. the past 12 months i have been given a large (for me) over draft facility, a small business loan to help with a vital bit of kit and finance on my tractor and hedge cutter. my bank have been most supportive of my plans and helped me no end.

not entirely true, with a good sensible realistic business plan most banks will listen to you. the past 12 months i have been given a large (for me) over draft facility, a small business loan to help with a vital bit of kit and finance on my tractor and hedge cutter. my bank have been most supportive of my plans and helped me no end.

As a farmer do you own any land?