How do I avoid hassle?

Daniël Bos

Have you considered the horses are using the hedge for shelter as that is the area churned up? RSPCA often not aware of animals suffering and unless you know horses would you also know and ill animal? Worm burden will be very high with that number of horses even removing the muck.

I'll bet some of them have horrendous mud fever aswell and overgrown hooves. Unless she is a lottery winner or drug dealer theres no way she is paying for a farrier.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shelter from the hedge will be much better when I'm done with it. Laying a hedge makes it much denser, letting much less wind through. Bad picture, sorry but this explains it better than I can. The further section has been laid.

I know horses a bit, have owned horses for about 20 years.

I like horses, It's horsey people I cannot stand.:thumbdown:

Worm burden will simply be countered by silly amounts of worming paste by the ignorant masses.:thumbdown:

Looking at the picture the animals have been using the hedge for a wind shelter. (see where snow has been trampled) There is also a white electric fence wire which could be simple to move out into the field.

Horses and cattle like to keep wind of the main body which the unlaid hedge will do. A new laid hedge will keep sheep warm but nothing else.:lol:

Don't get me started on worming methods and worm counts.:confused1:

The pic is from an different hedge, just to demonstrate how the wind moves through a standing hedge and not a laid one.

The green area is not where the frost has been trampled, it's where high windflow through the hedge, forced up, over and down through the bottom of the hedge has prevented the area beside the hedge from frosting up.

There were no animals in that field.

That's a young hedge to use as an example mind mate.

25 on 5 sounds compact to me, but I don't know feeding/shelter arrangements there. It might be a really tidy set up with a lot of exercise off paddock?

If it's iffy, don't be afraid to put in a call.

Good shout.:thumbup1:

The wind-effect is more pronounced in old hedges than young ones. As old hedges tend to have very little or no growth low down.

Like I said before, the looked crowded but not unhealthy. I know nothing else about the woman but what I saw and what I've been told by my client:sneaky2:

If I thought there was an issue with animal health I would not hesitate to take action:thumbup1:

I got asked to quote a hedgelaying job by one of my best customers. The guy is good for about half my winter-work and I've got him booked for some work for next winter already as well. He's a thouroughly decent bloke, and pays on time, (he even offered to pay in advance).

Trouble is, the hedge is along a field he's rented to a horsey lady:sneaky2:

Her tenancy is up, but she's refusing to leave as she has nowhere to put the 25 or so horses she keeps on the 5 acres.:001_huh:

They seem to have got to a dead end in face-to-face comms and going to court. Now he's asked me to lay the hedge going around the field as it'll improve the overall looks (neglected quagmire) and prove some of his good intentions to the court and the village (ashwell, rutland)

For me to do the work I'd need to be in the field though, and keep the horses at least 20ft away for their sake and the piles of brash I'll create.

My main question is, how do I avoid hassle from the horsey-lady?

All normal common courtesies will be applied ofcourse so no need to tell me to be polite and friendly, I always am:sneaky2:, but have you any other tips for keeping her off my back?

Thanks, Daniel

just give her say 2 weeks notice of when you are INTENDING to do the work advise her to put up an electric fence if the horses are to stay as some of the arisings may harm her horses, do what ever your client wants as hes a gooden just make sure you clearly specify your intentions in writing to her, you will of done all that you can, jobs a gooden, be polite as you say, as you know what these horsey sorts are like, you could be on to a ride your self:thumbup: you never know

we did 3 days in a field with 2 horses in sept.

I totally ignored them when we first started. they soon lost interest until second day when one of the lads dropped an apple tree.

after that complete pain in ass, damn thing then chewed the little indicator off the wing of the truck. Quick gaffer tape repair - still going strong.

Also pretty scary when they started fighting and biting each other.

Had to stop work put white tape electric fence up with no battery but it worked.

By the way do you drive a burgandy rover rover??? :001_smile: