Need help putting in a quote!!!!!!!

treedweller

Hi people I'm a bit lost with this one and need a bit of help. Iv been asked to put in a written quote to top a conifer hedge by 6-8 feet. No problem there then. But its 200ft long and stands between 20-25ft tall. I'll be honest I've never taken on a job this big myself before. All the work I do are domestic foreigners upto now. It on a council allotment access isn't an issue and they want all the chippings to mulch which is a bonus. There is a lot of other work to come off the back of it and this might be the break I need but I don't want to look like a ***** by putting in a cheap quote and I don't want to over charge and scare them off.

Can anyone giveme a sensible ball park to work with plz.

Thanks Gareth.

Hi people I'm a bit lost with this one and need a bit of help. Iv been asked to put in a written quote to top a conifer hedge by 6-8 feet. No problem there then. But its 200ft long and stands between 20-25ft tall. I'll be honest I've never taken on a job this big myself before. All the work I do are domestic foreigners upto now. It on a council allotment access isn't an issue and they want all the chippings to mulch which is a bonus. There is a lot of other work to come off the back of it and this might be the break I need but I don't want to look like a ***** by putting in a cheap quote and I don't want to over charge and scare them off.

Can anyone giveme a sensible ball park to work with plz.

Thanks Gareth.

is the hedge only one tree thick? you will probably need a access platform to work from, if i was on piece work i'd do it in a day off a platform,( my backround is commercial forestry), but this is a different ball game where i would have to slow myself down to justify my £1800 estimate, price it with the hired platform in mind.

£300 for platform £1500 profit over 3 days, can't be bad:laugh1:

Don't price it too cheap with the promise of more work playing on your mind.... i have found on many an occasion that the 'extra' work never materialises and i was being played in order to get the price down on the first one!! my synical view...but don't underprice it....remember - each job on its merit

Best of luck

Did one last year - similar height but only about 60ft long. Again, 7 or 8 feet off the top. All wood had to be dragged 60ft up the garden, through garage, out to road where we had the chipper. I climbed up the conifers at one end and did all cutting using a Silky for close in and a pole saw to reach further out, and a set of pole loppers to tidy up. Mate dragged stuff out and chipped most, and we finished chipping together at end. Also tidied sides using hedgecutter attachment on the long reach pole.

I priced it at £450 for one day for the two of us, including taking all the chip away. By the end of the day I was kicking myself for not pricing it for an extra half day cos we were proper knackered and didn't get done till 6 or so (good job it was summer).

If you can get a platform in, and the chipper (provided it's a good chipper and not some thing you can only put little sticks in!), and you're leaving everything there, then 2 to 3 days would make your life easy.