can i supply wetter wood !! ????

robbo 110

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wet wood will lead to tars in the flue, excess soot and a probably chimney fire.

Bigger diameter hardwood logs will help reduce the burn rate but the customer needs to be aware that if the temp within the stove/fire drops below a certain point then tars will form. A stove pipe thermometer if using a stove is a good idea.

A

Had similar request recently. Advised them to avoid wet firewood,told them to consult their chimney sweep for second opinion, he told them the same. Maybe you could try the same to highlight the importance of using a good quality firewood and the problems that could arise if they don't. Something on paper to show the manager might be a start. Forward a link to this forum???

cheers for your replys fellas, had a beer with both the pub manager & area manager tonight, going to see how they get on with larger logs, ive diced up some horrible gnarly knotty bits of oak today for the next delivery :thumbup1:

i also suggested that they had a removable divider made up for their fireplace, effectively halving the size of the fireplace so that they can have a small fire burning for 'effect' rather than heat, looks like tomorrow nights job could be a small 'wrought iron' fire basket!!!! :laugh1:

I have a pub I supply and he has started specifically asking for wet wood because the dry wood I took him "burns too quickly". He even keeps it just in a heap outside exposed to the weather. So now I log it straight from lengths off my stockpile in to a trailer to deliver it instead of giving him the nice dry logs that I have stored under cover.

I don't really like doing it and have explained to him about wet wood and he just isn't bothered. He would rather throw more coal on, seems like a false economy to me with the price of coal.

I don't really like doing it and have explained to him about wet wood and he just isn't bothered. He would rather throw more coal on, seems like a false economy to me with the price of coal.

Is it the cost they're bothered about or the hassle of refuelling? Maybe someone in head office said they had to have a log fire to create the olde worlde effect and they just want the easiest way of doing it without caring whether it's any good or not. In any case, if a chimney fire burns the place out they'll get a nice new refit on the insurance.

Am I too cynical?