RIKO Saw Bench; but which version???

TimberCutterDartmoor

I am planning on buying one of these very soon.

Riko UK :: Videos

Saying that RIKO didn't seem terribly interested in my business despite my already having an A11VTR splitter from them! :confused1: 'Phoned them in the week and in mid conversation they suddenly said "let me 'phone you back..." They never did. Hmmm.

Anyway, my dilema is understanding the power supply options i.e. 240v vs 415v 3 phase (I assume 415v is 3 phase?). In many ways I would prefer the petrol version but the cost saved by going electric would contribute towards a used genny of about 6kVa which could power it and other tools... (or could it?)

RIKO spec states 600 blade only in 240v version and the 700 model in 360v (does this mean 415v in the real world? :confused1::blushing:). Of the two electric 700 models there are 3 and 5.5 hp options...

http://www.alpinetractors.com/products/firewood/domestic/SCD600CSCD700C.pdf

I have two generators in mind; one a silenced diesel (6.0kVA / 4.8kW, 110 Volt 2 x 16 Amp / 1 x 32 Amp and 220 Volt 2 x 16 Amp), the other a petrol (1 x 230v output @ 5kW, 22 amps, PF1, 50Hz) and 1 x 400v output @ 6.4kW / 8kVa, 15 amps, PF 0.8, 50 Hz)

To much for my little head!

I am planning on buying one of these very soon.

Riko UK :: Videos

Saying that RIKO didn't seem terribly interested in my business despite my already having an A11VTR splitter from them! :confused1: 'Phoned them in the week and in mid conversation they suddenly said "let me 'phone you back..." They never did. Hmmm.

Anyway, my dilema is understanding the power supply options i.e. 240v vs 415v 3 phase (I assume 415v is 3 phase?). In many ways I would prefer the petrol version but the cost saved by going electric would contribute towards a used genny of about 6kVa which could power it and other tools... (or could it?)

RIKO spec states 600 blade only in 240v version and the 700 model in 360v (does this mean 415v in the real world? :confused1::blushing:). Of the two electric 700 models there are 3 and 5.5 hp options...

http://www.alpinetractors.com/products/firewood/domestic/SCD600CSCD700C.pdf

I have two generators in mind; one a silenced diesel (6.0kVA / 4.8kW, 110 Volt 2 x 16 Amp / 1 x 32 Amp and 220 Volt 2 x 16 Amp), the other a petrol (1 x 230v output @ 5kW, 22 amps, PF1, 50Hz) and 1 x 400v output @ 6.4kW / 8kVa, 15 amps, PF 0.8, 50 Hz)

To much for my little head!

Personally i'd definately go for the larger 3phase, three phase is much simpler to use IMO. No capacitors to go wrong and much easier to test for faults according to my electrician, also i think its more effecient on power use therefore saving eleccy!! I always have 3phase if i can just as its seems to be more reliable than single phase IME. As for matching a genny to it, not a clue as i don't know enough about the conversion factors. We run a big genny for our farm if we have power failure (500kva), all i know is i'm glad we went huge when we bought it as were using more and more of its capacity as time goes by!!! :001_rolleyes:

Hi Timber Cutter,

sorry about the lack of call back, not sure what happened or who you spoke to. Hopefully a sunday evening post will make up for it.

The 240V single phase saw is only available with 600mm blade and 10" cutting diameter. Even with this smaller blade you really need a 16A (blue) socket to run it off, and you cant go far from the wall.

The 3 phase benches are larger, 700mm blade, 12" cut. The 3 phase motors are inherantly more rugged. I dont think I've ever sold one of the lower HP ones, everyone goes for the 5.5HP. It isnt much more expensive and you need a good bit of power to keep the blade up to speed if you are working with larger diameter timber. (That said, with a sharp blade the smaller one should still be fine).

The first generator you list should run the 240V bench, the second gen with the 400V outlet should run either.

In short (because I've got to dash), go 3 phase over 240V for a larger, more powerful sawbench. Or petrol!

Not in tomorrow, but will be on Tuesday. Or email/PM if you prefer tomorrow.

Jim

Personally i'd definately go for the larger 3phase, three phase is much simpler to use IMO. No capacitors to go wrong and much easier to test for faults according to my electrician, also i think its more effecient on power use therefore saving eleccy!! I always have 3phase if i can just as its seems to be more reliable than single phase IME. As for matching a genny to it, not a clue as i don't know enough about the conversion factors. We run a big genny for our farm if we have power failure (500kva), all i know is i'm glad we went huge when we bought it as were using more and more of its capacity as time goes by!!! :001_rolleyes:

Mike well said. i agree 3 Phase is far better, single phase motors price are pricey, and you do not get capacitors packing up when your milking. had that a couple of times. never knew why they were single phase any way.

but if i was you are you going to be using the saw bench in one place and have 3 phase close by i would recomend going for a transformer (mains) it will be more expenisive but you have pice of mind and you can pick up 3 phase tools far cheeper second hand and 3 phase motors are cheeper to.

as a 5.5hp motor would require a 20+ kVA generator dur to peak current requird on start up but this can be reduced by using soft start to the about 6 KVA and soft start also reduces tranminsion stress on start up. (dont trust my caculation as they could easly be wrong)

The 230V one with 3 HP would be handier if you are moving from place but as 240 is more common but it would require a 16A suplly witch is less common.

so the first 2 gens should do the job, but the lasti think might work but would need soft start.

i hope it all croccret.

Hi Timber Cutter,

sorry about the lack of call back, not sure what happened or who you spoke to. Hopefully a sunday evening post will make up for it.

The 240V single phase saw is only available with 600mm blade and 10" cutting diameter. Even with this smaller blade you really need a 16A (blue) socket to run it off, and you cant go far from the wall.

The 3 phase benches are larger, 700mm blade, 12" cut. The 3 phase motors are inherantly more rugged. I dont think I've ever sold one of the lower HP ones, everyone goes for the 5.5HP. It isnt much more expensive and you need a good bit of power to keep the blade up to speed if you are working with larger diameter timber. (That said, with a sharp blade the smaller one should still be fine).

The first generator you list should run the 240V bench, the second gen with the 400V outlet should run either.

In short (because I've got to dash), go 3 phase over 240V for a larger, more powerful sawbench. Or petrol!

Not in tomorrow, but will be on Tuesday. Or email/PM if you prefer tomorrow.

Jim

Fantastic :thumbup:

Really appreciated...

Mike well said. i agree 3 Phase is far better, single phase motors price are pricey, and you do not get capacitors packing up when your milking. had that a couple of times. never knew why they were single phase any way.

but if i was you are you going to be using the saw bench in one place and have 3 phase close by i would recomend going for a transformer (mains) it will be more expenisive but you have pice of mind and you can pick up 3 phase tools far cheeper second hand and 3 phase motors are cheeper to.

as a 5.5hp motor would require a 20+ kVA generator dur to peak current requird on start up but this can be reduced by using soft start to the about 6 KVA and soft start also reduces tranminsion stress on start up. (dont trust my caculation as they could easly be wrong)

The 230V one with 3 HP would be handier if you are moving from place but as 240 is more common but it would require a 16A suplly witch is less common.

so the first 2 gens should do the job, but the lasti think might work but would need soft start.

i hope it all croccret.

Oh no! More electrickery to sort out! How do I get a soft start ???