Gloves

Tom Wilding

I have to laugh at some lorry drivers etc, first thing they do when getting out of the cab is put on gloves, to do the most lightest of duties...... you wouldn't see Fred Dibnah doing that:001_tt2:

They do it because everything on the outside of a wagon is filthy, and it saves getting black hands if you're about to eat your lunch or get back in your clean cab (provided they have a clean cab in the first place of course).

Personally I don't climb in gloves unless it's super cold, but they do go on as soon as I touch down for one reason only. Dog s**t.

Who actually wears chainsaw gloves? i did for my cs30 of course, but i find them uncomfortable, and i never put my hand under the saw when its running anyway ? :S

and what happens in the event of a kickback. which hands holding the frount handle? which hand has the chainsaw protection in it?.. saw kicks up, your hand slips of the handle still bent forward, the saw hits the back of your hand?, things are put into place for a reason,. and if u have completed your cs30 recently you are required to wear them on the ground when using a saw. or if its in your companys ppe policy like the firm i work for. there are many different gloves in all sorts of sizes

I am not a professional however, I wear gloves, SIP arm sleeves along with chaps, helmet & steel toecap boots to cut a fair amount of firewood and infrequently trees when the need arises

I consider these no substitute for correct handling and common sense, but should an incident occur then the severity of that incident should be reduced.

A couple of months ago a friend had an accident with his saw - quite serious one, which bounced off his steel toecap before slicing into his foot. He was off work for 6 weeks, but Im convinced that without the protection the accident would have been a lot worse & he would have lost the end of his foot.

To me, this fortified the PPE argument & I think the same goes for gloves, although I can see where people are coming from with the arthritis angle.

Don't think Im telling you what to do though, drink beer, smoke fags & enjoy em!

Edited by NFG

I loves my husky gloves. Very snug and lets face it, there are some serious creepy crawlies out there! Really seriously, I have some kind of reaction to some kind of bug which lives in alder bark (or ivy, I can't work out which). If that little red critter bites me I'm in bed for 2-3 days with a fever and it gets worse every time. So, I wear sleeves and gloves whatever the weather.

Wetness is a problem. I spent today splitting up some ash which has been sitting on the ground all year. Very soggy business and yes I can see that point. But I kept my gloves on.

I loves my husky gloves.

I don't where chainsaw gloves I only Wore them once for my cs30/31

But I do allways where regular As I don't like thorns splinters and everything else getting in my hands .

In the cold wet weather I where blue marrygolds with a very thin pair if gloves under that it keeps my hands warm and dry

In the dry I where a brown pair of brown lined gloves a bit like mock leather but nice and soft but the don't stay dry if it rains but I really like them .

Littletree:thumbup:

I have Stihl & Oregon leather chainsaw gloves which I wear on the ground [and in the garden, great for dragging brambles!] and I wear ordinary Youngstown work gloves when I'm climbing, they're quite snug fitting with like a faux alcantara palm, I only forget to put them on once when I'm chucking a throw line up!

I can even tie & untie knots in them....

Youngstown Gloves – Official Site for Youngstown Performance Work Gloves. Plus Gloves are designed for fit, durability and value.

They don't last long mind you....