Caveat Emptor.

PeteB

Just reading this weeks HortWeek. Sally Drury does an article about another imported American woodchipper. I've seen these at a trade show. To my eyes, the infeed was too short, the safety bar was a "top bar" when it should be a "bottom bar", there was no "latching" device, the infeed sloped down to the rollers and not up and you could touch the bottom roller with your boot from underneath. Please, all you chipper buyers out there - buy a reputable machine from a reputable source.

its build quality did not impress me - infact, it was dire. The picture shows angled feed, but off the road side if your doing anything on the street. If the power is available then I like to run tractor stuff at 1000 speed as the machine is quiter and more economical to run - if it only needs 40hp, why run it at 540 (maximum tractor revs) to get the power> something ain't right!

Just reading this weeks HortWeek. Sally Drury does an article about another imported American woodchipper. I've seen these at a trade show. To my eyes, the infeed was too short, the safety bar was a "top bar" when it should be a "bottom bar", there was no "latching" device, the infeed sloped down to the rollers and not up and you could touch the bottom roller with your boot from underneath. Please, all you chipper buyers out there - buy a reputable machine from a reputable source.

Hey pete. The machine you talk about has a big sticker in the infeed that said "Machine feed only".:011:

But we need to remember why we have these infeed bar regulations, it was because a arborist had his foot taken off due to blocked small european chipper infeed. Had the infeeds of most chippers been large enougth to take the wood with out continual blocking then the need for some one to put their hands or feet in the machine would have been averted.

I think how some manufactures quote chipper sizes need looking at as a 6x6 hole do not do true 6" material. most arborist trimmings are bent which will not go in the chipper.:banghead: