Caveat Emptor.

PeteB

Hayden,

I read your thread re the imported american 'chipper. You obviously have not seen the article, or indeed seen the machine in the UK. No sign saying "machine feed only" is present, and the article showed it being hand fed.

As you know from other threads posted, towing weights and other factors mean that European woodchippers are totally different from American machines. Some Euro machines do have 6x6 openings etc, but others go 6x9 and still fulfill the other factors.

I'm afraid my previous personal POV still stand!

Sorry Pete I did mean the Woodsman how ever the point still stands on infeed sizes.

Has any one seen the bar system on the new Bandit chippers ? as that does not follow the HSE i think :hmmmm2: but they have been at exhibitions lately and no safety person has pulled them up on it ????.

The playing field on these bar systems is wide open it seams.

I really can't see any extra safety margin with a longer feed tray?The tempation still exisits to push a short bit towards the feed rollers regardless of the feed tray length,except when a numptie does push a bit in with his hand on long tray models his or her knee is off the ground and more at risk of being eaten.Then when they have both feet back on the ground my boot collide's with their arse.Beleive it,I've kicked groundie arse's on three continents and people put themselves at risk wether the chipper is 6" or 26".

The bottom stop bar is another example of over regulating an inherintly dangerous industry,more focus should be spent of re inforcing good work practice,cutting branches to a suitable size,feeding from the side etc.

The bottom stop bar,without an override like BC1400 or 1800 is just a needless pain in the arse.

The guy who lost his ankle (then leg) a couple of years ago was the site safety officer - a fine example really.

UK margins being what they are coupled with transport laws etc mean we have to piss with the prick we are born with. If we can only afford or tow a small chipper, think logically. You've seen what it can do to a lump of tree, feed it stuff it can handle. Get the job done safely. Manufacturers, suppliers and users have to do what the do-gooders insist we do. Big or small, they all can hurt.

Whilst on the safety band wagon, I'm aware that a trailor carrying a tracked chipper recently came off a hitch and seriously hurt a young lad. Please check that all trailor brakes and hitches (inc break away cables) work properly.