glad times have changed

nuggsy

Thats up-set me watching that vid ! The poor Oak, been sat there for 100's of years minding its own business till 'Jonny-chainsaw' comes along!

If that was in one of my formal parks i wouldnt have cut it down, never mind in a field :confused1::confused1:

I haven't really been following this thread John, but there appears to be young fruiting bodies protruding between the butresses of the first vid Pete posted above at approx 3:25 mins.

Possibly Gano sp or Innonotus dryadeus?

Maybe basal decay has been identified. :sad:

Agreed, shame to lose such a cracking Oak :thumbdown:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting points of view on this thread, firstly the use of the 090. heavy powerful saw, will shake ,ou to bits after a days use, every body part takes a hammering, but lets face it, the big toys dont get much of an airing these days. I love my 090, but it has its place, and would rather use the 66 any day, with all ts modern avantages. PPE, personally I'd always use it, whatever saw I'm on, but thats my choice.

The tree, well given the chance i'd fell it, it as coming out for some reason, maybe for the timber, maybe for safety reasons, maybe for firewood, and perhaps the old boy wanted it filmed for one last chance to show "he still had it"

I haven't really been following this thread John, but there appears to be young fruiting bodies protruding between the butresses of the first vid Pete posted above at approx 3:25 mins.

Possibly Gano sp or Innonotus dryadeus?

Maybe basal decay has been identified. :sad:

Agreed, shame to lose such a cracking Oak :thumbdown:

Yeh I noticed the fruiting bodies, but show me an Oak that age that doesn’t have any....

That tree didn't look much of a hazard, esp. that there was little-to-no target. No Target, No Hazard…..Un-less you count farmer Giles passing in his tractor once-in-a-while :001_smile:

Yeh I noticed the fruiting bodies, but show me an Oak that age that doesn’t have any....

That tree didn't look much of a hazard, esp. that there was little-to-no target. No Target, No Hazard…..Un-less you count farmer Giles passing in his tractor once-in-a-while :001_smile:

Gotta agree with ya compadre.

But someone probably condemmed it based on the Fb's :sad:

The grief I've had over half dozen scrappy roadside syccys with root collar mech dam and internal decay...then you see this.......what..." wanted to show he still had it..."....b****x...looked like a pretty boring fell to me...massive gob and down she comes.....:sad:

• 3 weeks later...
Thats up-set me watching that vid ! The poor Oak, been sat there for 100's of years minding its own business till 'Jonny-chainsaw' comes along!

If that was in one of my formal parks i wouldnt have cut it down, never mind in a field :confused1::confused1:

Ever heard of Gary Gartland John..???...I reckon thats who it is.:ohmy:

Why do I get the feeling that if HSE was "around" forty years ago, we would be a real weedy, weaked knee'd bunch of risk averse pen pushers. I'm rather proud of the fact that I had a Matador on two wheels, had about 12 088, 084 and one 090 with a 6foot bar and they got used. No one got hurt because we were careful and aware.

I take my two kids swimming every wednesday and have been instructed, by the young Lifeguard lady, not to be so rough with the kids. I not allowed to threw them in, duck them, make huge splashes, bomb, backward dive and they say the there is not a pool around with diving boards as they are dangerous. Forsooth!

My ex-wife has moaned at the kids that I drive too fast.

A friend has moaned that I work too hard for too long.

Why moan if a competent old timer wants to start up his old 090 (many young guys could not carry it, let alone start it) and cross cut a stick. He enjoyed himself, enjoy his enjoyment.

Why do I get the feeling that if HSE was "around" forty years ago, we would be a real weedy, weaked knee'd bunch of risk averse pen pushers. I'm rather proud of the fact that I had a Matador on two wheels, had about 12 088, 084 and one 090 with a 6foot bar and they got used. No one got hurt because we were careful and aware.

I take my two kids swimming every wednesday and have been instructed, by the young Lifeguard lady, not to be so rough with the kids. I not allowed to threw them in, duck them, make huge splashes, bomb, backward dive and they say the there is not a pool around with diving boards as they are dangerous. Forsooth!

My ex-wife has moaned at the kids that I drive too fast.

A friend has moaned that I work too hard for too long.

Why moan if a competent old timer wants to start up his old 090 (many young guys could not carry it, let alone start it) and cross cut a stick. He enjoyed himself, enjoy his enjoyment.

Here,here!!!