Extreme Mewp positioning

Dean Lofthouse

Used the Mewp today and as some of you are aware I have had mewps in positions you would think impossible to get them into. I have never taken photos before so now I am starting to take some.

Todays job was straight forward on hard standing, there were two trees where I thought it would be better to get the mewp onto the banking for better work positioning.

I first tried to get it up the banking which was about 40 degrees but the tracks wouldn't grip enough to get up and the mewp went past balance point and tipped, you can see the tracks off the floor in photo's 1 and 2, note how I position the legs so the mewp only tips onto the pads so it can be pushed back upright.

Couldn't get it up the banking so I tracked it above and decided to bring it down photo 3 show the mewp position ready to come down a steep muddy slope. It actually slid, not tracked down the 45% slope, I then had to turn it through 90 degrees on the slope so the mewp was totally off balance and tipped backwards and sideways, so it was on the back corner of one track. Pic 4 shows the tracks off the floor again

We got it halfway round by sending out the boom in pic 5 and two lads pushing on the lever effect while I tracked it round. We then jacked the lower side track up in the air using the legs and packed wood underneath to level it up to track it off the bog we had created and finally into position.

This is extreme mewp manouvering not to be tried by the faint hearted.

5976539625d0d_adamsjobripponden010.jpg.5a40b2de1a1cb78ba05bf0e50c06faac.jpg

5976539623a45_adamsjobripponden009.jpg.22734a467be0453fbaf0914792062907.jpg

59765396212dc_adamsjobripponden005.jpg.5dece800c965bfd0ab7a4c45fb50a902.jpg

597653961eccb_adamsjobripponden004.jpg.5c59ffdc0c771be585dc3cd64f00047e.jpg

597653961c0f4_adamsjobripponden001.jpg.c28a0f8d7ff0f9e603cd903f16bdbef1.jpg

Nice one Dean.

I have set mewps up in some awkward places too.

I set an 18 up on a lawn which had been under water for five weeks after the 2007 floods, this was the feb this year, and your feet still sunk and squelched when you walked on it!

Leapfrogged trailer ramps to walk it down to the site and then set the legs up on them at 90 degrees like snow pattens. Worked fine it never moved an inch.

Pushed one leg down on the grass to see what it was like and it just squeezed straight into the ground!