Rope Wrench feedback

No I don;t understand that either Adam, sorry.

I think what you were originally getting at is if your climb line is draped down the trunk you have the feeling of being pulled against the trunk.

What Ewan suggested by throwing your throwline again is that it could pass over a fork on it's way up. Then you have the benefit of a mid air ascent. Much less labour intensive.

I could have my base anchor TIP exactly where i would have tied in if I was tying myself in the top but I still don't feel as free as I would if my TIP was in the top:blushing: if you can make sense of that :lol:

Think I just hate base anchors

Considering the doubled force on the primary support point with base anchoring I can understand that. I base anchor for access happily, but put the rope a couple of forks below my ideal final tie in point. Gives me more confidence in base anchoring. 90% of the time I re anchor at the top with a pulldown. If I ever do work off a base anchor I try to get the anchor side of the line away from the stem by running it through another fork as Ewan mentioned. :thumbup1:

I'm not a big fan of base anchors either but sometimes they can be pretty useful.:001_smile:

Considering the doubled force on the primary support point with base anchoring I can understand that. I base anchor for access happily, but put the rope a couple of forks below my ideal final tie in point. Gives me more confidence in base anchoring. 90% of the time I re anchor at the top with a pulldown. If I ever do work off a base anchor I try to get the anchor side of the line away from the stem by running it through another fork as Ewan mentioned. :thumbup1:

I'm not a big fan of base anchors either but sometimes they can be pretty useful.:001_smile:

Ditto that.:thumbup1:

Yeah sorry about the confusion, its nothing to do with the ascent or anything like that its just in my head, I'll figure it out:thumbup1:

Anyway changed my style today, made a 12" stiffy, the mrs loves it :sneaky2:, na had it on the hitchclimber pulley to start with but the offset really bugged me, so had another spare pinto pulley kicking around and gave it a shot! Looks the part but if it works is a different matter :laugh1:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358106905.819888.jpg.7dd05f490012b0220b3373aa883b4378.jpg

Considering the doubled force on the primary support point with base anchoring I can understand that. I base anchor for access happily, but put the rope a couple of forks below my ideal final tie in

Just for my own curiosity, can someone do the maths for me? I just can't see how it can be the case.... :blushing:

Secondly, is there a necessary clearance and minimum tether length for the rw to work?

I've been browsing all the off the shelf stuff as a starting point and the best stuff I find is around 20 / 25 cm... Is this too short...?

If you are 100kg and you base anchor you will have 200kg force on your anchor point, because in order to hold You at 100kg there needs to be the same force on the other side of the rope.

Thether length is about 12-10 inches is best a stiff thether is a must and don't use a two krab set up it generates to much slop

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Ewan Murray

Yea that setup is really tidy adam. The becket on the pinto looks useful for setting up a rope walker. Like ewan says, running it all off one biner reduces the slop in the system and the rope wrench engages quicker too. :) Worcswuss it would be double the weight if you used a low friction pulley. So the friction on the fork reduces it a bit. Good to bear in mind if you are base anchoring out from the stem on something smaller.:sneaky2:

Edited by BenR

If you are 100kg and you base anchor you will have 200kg force on your anchor point, because in order to hold You at 100kg there needs to be the same force on the other side of the rope.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Ddrt can create the same forces as srt base anchoring, though with a base anchor you can spread your load over several points, remembering angles and optimum loading of course:)

Ddrt only puts your weight on the anchor point, where as a base anchored Srt system will exert 2x the force on the anchor point thats why its encouraged not to isolate your line, i wouldnt say you could exert the same force Ddrt on your anchor point as you could with a base anchored srt system.