Rope Wrench feedback

My guess is that YES it does matter, and the LJ manufacturer would almost certainly agree as this is not how his device was meant to be used and the RW is relatively new and untested. But I am keen to try it with my SJ so the more testing we all do the better. I want to practice on something small and have not had much opportunity recently.

Good post Rupe. The rubber bands or plastic clip things will do the job.

Your last question, 'does the twisting matter?' is what I've banging on about.

The LJ is designed for DRT. I think the twisting matters. I'm just about to crown lift a Sycamore on RW and LJ so I'll see how it goes but may go to the HC set up.

Yes the twisting does matter and it had been noticed by lj users, hence my earlier post about a small descent to engage the rw. Otherwise you may as well just be using the lj on it's own, then add the wrench in for descents! I know you said you don't always want to descend a bit but I'm afraid you have to for correct usage. It's the same with a hitch but the hitch doesn't twist or look otherwise wrong, but without that drop onto the wrench you are again not using it as intended! I don't understand the confusion! Ascend, set the wrench, drop 3-4", away you go!

Yes the twisting does matter and it had been noticed by lj users, hence my earlier post about a small descent to engage the rw. Otherwise you may as well just be using the lj on it's own, then add the wrench in for descents! I know you said you don't always want to descend a bit but I'm afraid you have to for correct usage. It's the same with a hitch but the hitch doesn't twist or look otherwise wrong, but without that drop onto the wrench you are again not using it as intended! I don't understand the confusion! Ascend, set the wrench, drop 3-4", away you go!

In response to your last sentence, I know I know.

I just wanted to ask questions and keep trying to see if there is a technique work around.

I guess in just trying to climb SRT with minimum amount of technique adaption from years on DRT.

I've just got to get smart and get on with it.

That twisting of the LJ must also happen when in DRT with just the LJ as you get toward the top of the climb where the rope is spread apart by whatever part of the tree it is over. I would have thought that the only way for the LJ to NOT twist is if using DRT with in conjunction with a friction saver at the TIP. The RW seems to be increasing the twist by acting on the LJ in the same way as ropes pushed similar to how they would be close to the top of a DRT climb.

That's not what I meant, sorry.... What I meant was that in normal DRT without a rope guide, then the angle between each side of rope becomes greater as you get near the top of the climb. So if you were to use an LJ in that situation, without a rope guide or saver, then again that angle between each side of rope will be greater and so the LJ won't be straight. And what the RW is doing to the LJ is the same.... it's spreading the rope apart. A longer tether would bring it back straighter than it is now in Oldmilltree's set up, surely?

So you can see in the picture that with my weight on the LJ it's being twisted.

The RW isn't set so all my weight is on the LJ.

Do you think this is ok?

(my finger is there just to hold it in place for the photo)

Not for me.

I have used the LJ and it is a nice tool, so I understand why people are so interested in combining the Jacks with the Rope Wrench in their SRT work positioning systems. But like I said, I have not seen any research on how the Jacks hold up under SRT conditions. Until that is done, using them for that application may not be such a good choice.

On line 4 of the RW instructions it specifically states to test the hitch on the rope by itself without the RW installed. The reason for this is clearly printed on the side of the ZK1, "not for primary life support ". So even though the RW and friction device work in combination, you must be assured that your friction device will be safe in the absence of the RW.

Used as designed, with a properly tied hitch the RW works great, why not just start with that, and give it time for someone ( maybe send one or two to Drew? ) to do some SRT response testing on the LJ/SJ.

Dave