Double standards

Treegeek

TBH there is taking a short cut and TAKING A SHORT CUT ,yes we all take the odd shocut to get the job done BUT using a mewp on the side of the road without a harness is just asking for trouble IMO

I used MEWPS (mainly 34m Brontos) pretty much every day for 9 years in a previous career and only ever wore a harness when instructed to twice on two sites. The operators hated them and never wore them either. That's just the way it was. They all had horror stories about guys being killed because they were wearing a harness.

I wear one now in a MEWP, and if I did a lot of MEWP work would buy a full body harness with a rear attachment point and use a longish lanyard so I wouldn't even notice it in a shift.

You're right Dave. Too many short cuts will end up in the shortest cut of all.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

we all know how hard it is to "comply" in the arb world , the constant change due to every tree , every job spec and almost every site being diferent and having their own unique issues BUT at no point should the princaple Rules that keep every man on site safe be flauted .

Anway Mark what made you take the step to using a harness ?

we all know how hard it is to "comply" in the arb world , the constant change due to every tree , every job spec and almost every site being diferent and having their own unique issues BUT at no point should the princaple Rules that keep every man on site safe be flauted .

Anway Mark what made you take the step to using a harness ?

I used to do surveys from the cage Dave (for mobile telecomms).

When things shifted to this job, which is, shall we say, a bit more 'active', the old survival mechanism kicked in.

Need to bite my tongue abit don't want a slapped wrist but I will avoid this being a rant. My point is large companies and organizations doing arb work should tow the line on way home though the new forest guys working roadside full tm stop go boards all ok then there's 3 blokes in access platform basket no harnesses using un necessary long ground saw what realy gets me is that this organization has and does work and research with our friends at the hse.

I'm not trying to throw dirt but if big names cut corners the Joe public won't apprecate why there paying the right money for a safe and good job.

do joe public know what a safe and good job is???

infact id say 99% of the time they dont